Wednesday 23 October 2019

BFI London Film Festival Picks 2019


 This has been an odd year in terms of festivals, overall, I think. My picks from the festival this year are very different from each other and there wasn't really a running theme that I found throughout the festival for me. But if I had to pick, religion and faith did come up quite a few times in film in different capcities.

I obviously have to mention the two 'big' films I was excited to see and they are again, of course part of my picks, Knives Out and Jojo Rabbit. But I have praised them enough in their own reviews/posts. Instead I wanted to focus on other films which may or may not be getting as much attention.

I'm usually quicker off the bat with my top picks but after breaking my record and watching 24 films, you'll excuse the delay. With still a few more reviews to be posted and at least 4 from Zavvi to be released too and one that is actually being posted in November by Vulturehound, this year has been all over the place. Anyway, these are my top picks:




An unexpected film by all accounts, this French dark as night comedy about a man so obsessed with his 100% deerskin jacket disappears into the countryside, pretends to be a filmmaker and plans on making his jacket the only one in the world.  Its bizarre and brilliant at the same time but will it get a release? Only time will tell. If there is cinema justice, it will.


Another unexpected delight for me at the festival, about a group of friends who decend upon Edinnurgh one afternoon before a school choir competition. Its funny, irreverent and just an all round 90s set delight.


Each year I manage to see one documentary and as this is a celebration as well as an exploration into the cult of 'Showgirls' of course I'd pick this one.

Arab Blues 

Beautifully understated dramady about a woman returning home to set up her practice as a Psychoanalysist but as her family doesn't believe in her or the need for her as well as the local police stepping in and adding to the disruption, she proves to herself and the doubters and even some of her clients that she is indeed needed and wanted. 
 
Review for this coming soon!