Thursday 24 October 2019

Brittany Runs a Marathon



I’m sure I’m not the first person to look at themselves in the mirror then at the exercise bike in the corner. You know the one with dust on it as its been some time since you’ve taken that out for a spin. Then vow to themselves that they will make a change. But 10 minutes later they’re back at the computer or watching a film eating off brand Oeros. Writer and director Paul Downs Colaizzo was inspired by his roommate Brittany who did in fact turn her life around and run a marathon to write a story, not entirely about her but inspired by her. This morphed into ‘Brittany Runs a Marathon’ and it is by far more about than a story about a woman who goes running.  

Brittany is 28 years old; she leads a very unhealthy lifestyle. All her friends and people she knows seems to be getting their life together except her. She works at a theatre in the evenings, parties until the very early hours then slumps home and sleeps most of the day away. She’s broke, in debt, drinks, takes pills, gives blow jobs to guys in bathrooms at clubs and eats junk food. But after going to the doctor who tells her she needs to lose weight, she is spurred on to start running. But this pathway was never just about the weight, she wants to improve her life and feel good about herself.

For a film title that is very literal, the film itself is about much more. Brittany doesn’t just run an actual marathon; she runs a life marathon and goes through so many stages. The repetition of her standing ready to go running for the first time is used whenever she feels like she’s going to relapse or when she is about to take the plunge. Its showing that we will always have a fear in the back of our mind that we end up revisiting time and again but it is possible to overcome it. Brittany goes through changes, not just the satisfaction of losing weight and feeling like a lady again. Being happy that ‘people hold doors’ for her is a small but great feeling, which I understand. She also changes her attitude to how she takes care of herself, including her own relationships, particularly with Jern, who hasn’t got it together yet by the time she has. They like each other but she knows she can’t look after him and herself and they’re grown up enough the know this.

Another aspect of the film that I admired were the friendships. Brittany and her ‘best friend’ Gretchen live together, party together but the latter doesn’t support the former. It can be appreciated they each have different goals in life and their own form of happiness, but this toxic friendship, rarely explored on screen beyond superficial arguments, is something Brittany decides to leave. Better for her and probably better for Gretchen too as she can realise what kind of friend she was. Leaving this toxic environment behind, Brittany is then free to cultivate her new and supportive friends who want nothing more than to help and be her friend, through all the ups and downs she goes through. It’s true that at your toughest times, you know who your real friends are.

I would say, aside from a few characters in TV shows where I felt represented on screen, this is the first time I’ve seen a character that feels like me. Some of the things that Brittany even says about being the ‘fat funny sidekick’ or how guys say things to her that they wouldn’t to other girls, I had a lot of that during college, Uni, work places where this happened, I was treated like one of the guys and not in a good way. I also had the same struggles she has with not being able to focus and just feeling less than. On personal level I can connect. I’ve also tried to turn my unhealthy life around a few times. I was on track about 5 years back where I even lost weight but I had a trampoline accident where I injured my back. I was misdiagnosed by a few doctors which meant my recovery was longer. I ended up in physio which helped but I will forever suffer with back problems. This really set me back, I put on weight again, I was stuck at the same old job, but very slowly I moved on. I swam every week and gradually stopped regular heavy drinking then I busted my knees, back to square one. I ended up in a hell cycle again last year when my contract ended with a job I really loved and to be honest have been having a terrible time all round, health, money, career wise BUT seeing this film, with a character I can really relate to was inspiring on more than ‘what a great film’ level.

The film was a hit at Sundance and was picked up by Amazon BUT the film will be in cinemas for a limited time (I heard) so please go see this, if not for the story then for the amazing Jillian Bell who plays Brittany, a real person and a real inspiration.