Sunday 19 August 2012

The Hitchcock Appreciation Post

Monday 13th August was Hitchcock's birthday and I thought the best way to celebrate one of my icons' day was to go see The 39 Steps in the theatre in London. I had already seen it but it just so happened that my aunt had cheap tickets. And I really wanted to see it again.

I first saw this hilarious play at the  Richmond Theatre and loved how a four people (technically three, one actor plays Hannay throughout) could bring so many characters to life. The play is based on the 1935 Hitchcock film starring Robert Donat. The story follows Richard Hannay who attends a performance from 'Mr Memory' a man who can remember every and any fact. During the performance a gun is fired and he is followed by Annabella Schmidt. She convinces him to let her come back to his flat where she reveals she is a spy and is being followed by an assassin. She says that she has uncovered a plot to steal vital British military secrets, implemented by a man with the top joint missing from one of his fingers, who is the head of an espionage organisation called the "39 Steps".

Seeing a second time around just made me love the play even more, especially as the productions were slightly different. The theatre it is currently being performed is the Criterion Theatre and it could not be more perfect. Not the biggest theatre but it felt as if we just walked in the story. The 1930s music and decor made it feel as we were in that time again, if you get what I mean.



Moving with more Hitchcock related things,Vertigo was recently voted best film of all time in Sight and Sound after years of Citizen Kane taking the prime spot. I have to admit Vertigo isn't my favourite Hitchcock film. Although the poster is amazing, the story just dragged for me. I might have to watch it again and see if I'm wrong. Here is a link to a longer article: http://badassdigest.com/2012/08/01/vertigo-now-the-best-movie-ever-citizen-kanes-run-at-the-top-over/



The last piece of Hitchcock related news is that there are two features about Hitchcock. The first is a biography starring Anthony Hopkins as the great director and will focus on his life while making Pyscho. The second will a BBC production called 'The Girl' and will focus on the obsession the director had with the actress, Tippi Hedren and will be aired later this year, I hope. Toby Jones will be playing Hitchcock and Sienna Miller will be portraying Tippi Hedren.

 To round up this post here are my favourite Hitchcock films are Rear Window, Lifeboat and Strangers on a Train.