Friday 28 September 2018

London Film Festival Picks


Having to narrow my selection down to 10 films is always difficult. I’d also like to point out that its 50:50 for gender representation, this was an conscious and unconscious decision.

Here are my picks:

 
The Ballard of Buster Scruggs
Dir: Joel & Ethan Coen
USA
This is an obvious one. It’s the Coen brothers so there was no way I was going to miss this. An anthology film or 6 Coen stories in one film, taking place in the Old West. With vast cast and various stories, I expect there to be unexpected genre twisting as well as dark at hell humour. 

Capernaum
Dir: Nadine Labaki 
Lebanon
Where has Nadine Labaki been? She’s been missing from the film scene for years after her second feature. But she’s back (and hopefully in London) with her Cannes stirring drama about a young boy living in poverty who sues his parents for bringing him into this world. A different from her previous films but I’m still very intrigued and excited to see what Labaki has to show us.

Rafiki
Dir: Wanuri Kahiu
Kenya
I’d heard great things from TIFF and after seeing the trailer and reading about the director, who is suing Kenya as they have banned the film, I knew this was not to be missed. About two women, both daughters of politicians who form a friendship which becomes something more. I hope, Wanuri Kahiu wins her case. 

Girls of the Sun
Dir Eva Husson
France
Eva Husson returns to LFF after her 2015 film ‘Bang Gang’ (which I enjoyed) but this time with a war genre film about inspiring women who lost everything and fought for their future. Haven’t read as much about this film but as I admire Husson, I wanted to see what she did next.

The Breaker Upperers
Dir: Jackie van Beek, Madeleine Sami
New Zealand 
My friend and I saw countless trailers and posters for this comedy about two women who break up relationships for weak people who can’t speak to their partners, while in New Zealand. It came out the week we left so I’m very happy we get to see it on the big screen in the UK. It looks hilarious and after the raving reviews from NZ as well as Australia, I’m sure its going to be. 

The Fight
Dir: Jessica Hynes
UK
To be honest, I saw Jessica Hynes in a boxing ring in the picture and immediately wanted to see the film. Then I saw that she is also directing. I’m a big fan of Hynes in anything really so I was going to see this film no matter what. 

The Sisters Brothers
Dir: Jacques Audiard
USA/France
Again, to be honest, Joaquin Phoenix is in this film, so, I was of course just going to this anyway. But to add a bit more reason behind the pick, I remembered when the book came out and loved the story (never got round to reading it) and soon after found out the film was being made with Phoenix. Two hitmen brothers in the old west are on the hunt for someone who stole from their client, but it seems they get a whole lot more than they bargained for. Great overall cast and well, its Phoenix. 

Sorry to Bother You
Dir: Boots Riley
USA
I was obsessed with the trailers for this Sundance hit and loved the story. It seems strange and familiar but set in an alternative reality. Slightly science fiction but not obvious. This is what I’ve gathered from what I’ve read. The cast is amazing, not only does Armie Hammer pop but it has Lakeith Stanfield AND Tessa Thompson in lead roles - YES!

Soni 
Dir: Ivan Ayr
India
They had me at ‘feminist policing, Indian style’. The story is about a police sting gone wrong with female officer caught at the centre. Along with her superior, the two women work together to fight against crimes against women. Not heard or seen anything like this from India so I’m really looking forward to this one. 

School’s Out
Dir: Sebastian Marnier
France
Had to have a ‘creepy’ pick in my list and nothing is more creepy that children. A group students seem to harbour some dark secrets after a teacher leaps to his death. The picture in the catalogue was creepy and chilling, just a group of teens staring out with blank faces while a teacher looks scared. Super, I’m in!

@BFI

@VultureHoundMag