Wednesday 26 September 2018

Literally, A Room Of One's Own


A while back (three years ago) I pitched an idea to a website I had written a couple of posts for. Unfortunately they weren’t interested, so I thought, oh well, I’ll post it on my blog. Years later, it finally happened. My idea was that all writers have a place they like to work it, be at home, a cafe, a bar, a forest, beach, castle, rollercoaster etc. But even though their locations change, there is always a desk or desk space involved. I got the idea from Vanity Fair who interview a creative about their desk. They are always uniquely theirs, sometimes littered with papers, figurines lined up on the computer, photos and memorabilia hanging on the wall, all have their own way of working which I think is fascinating.


Remember how, when you’re a kid and you’re excited to see your friends’ room? It could naturally be a child’s curiosity but I think, now that I’m older, that being able to see someone else’s room, was a way to get to know someone better. A bedroom, at any age, even if you share, is place where you can be yourself. How you decorate and what you display is a part of who you are. Usually it is the only place you can freely decorate as you want. It is a literal expression of your personality. But that might be going too deep. For anyone who moved away from or stayed in halls at Uni, you either try to make that space your own or you distance yourself from, just using it for the time being. I like to surround myself with familiarity if I’m going to be somewhere for a considerable amount of time. But in the sanctity of my room, my desk transforms into my gateway to ideas, not just the internet which is the ultimate portal, but sitting at my desk I can or at least try to create something new. Whether it is writing about film or writing a story. A desk, a room, is something personal. A space you might share but there will always be something that is just yours and if you don’t have that, you need to.

Here’s a peek into where I work....