Saturday 30 December 2017

Blind Spot Round Up

I've not kept up with my Blind Spot films, I lost track around April and it seems to conicide with when I started my new role at work. In fact, quite a few things lapsed around that time.

I've managed to catch up on 4 films and watching another later today, but two will be carried over to next year's list. Watching three films about horrible people and one which is visual poetry, was quite a lot to take in for one day. This will be the briefest of brief round ups.


I'm so glad I didn't realise that 'City of Angels' was a knock off version of Wim Wenders poetry in motion beautifully curated film. The moments shared between angels and humans is wonderful, even the heartbreaking ones. It was odd seeing Peter Falk pop up as himself no less, but was an interesting addition to the story. A fallen angel isn't necessarily a bad thing.



The speeches that I had heard so much and references in TV and Film for so long to my surprise is one small part of the story. Howard Beale begins and ends this tirade for and against TV. Faye Dunaway's hideous programmer was a delightful mess and I particularly enjoyed how she and her blindsided lover and failure Max spoke in TV as that is how I sometimes see life but in a film version. Of all the truely great speeches throughout at the film, Peter Finch giving it his all, drenched from the rain was the most stirring. By the end I wanted to shout out my window 'I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore!'


After watching one of the best episodes of TV from Psychoville which was inspired by Hitchcock's Rope, I thought one day I should watch the film. I was impressed by the staging and planning rather than the story about two men who decide to murder an old school friend just for the 'art of murder' then give a dinner party while the body is in a trunk is really disturbing. Killing for killing sake is something I find hard to watch. Even more so when the two murderers swap theories and congratulate themselves on their success. The more exciting moments come near the end when their old teacher, trusty James Stewart finds out what they've done. Not a favourite Hitchcock of mine but for the technicallities I can see why its one to watch.


One of the lesser known to me Eailing Comedies set up North in the textile factories. Alec Guinness is down on his luck scientist, Sidney Stratton that is until he creates a fabric that lasts forever and repels dirt. At first his discovery is greeted with excitement but soon the mill owners decide it wouldn't help industry and the factory workers revolt as they'd be out of work. Soon everyone is literally hunting down this man who simply wants to share his discovery. But no one likes a genius do they? To me this felt link a hate for creation and innovation. Not what I expected.



To see where it all started and for an excellent insight to film, have a look at The Matinee.