Friday 24 April 2020

Comfort Zone


Everyone has their own comfort zone and what their go to films, TV, books and music are. But my comfort zone has stretched no farther than what I watched last month. I'm sure there are a billion other posts are there like this one, but this one is mine.

I'm admiring all the other bloggers and film writers out there who are continuously writing. Those who are able to get past any personal issues that may get in the way of their writing. Anyone who can carry on despite there being less 'new' content to talk about. I not only admire and commend you all but I envy that ability. I haven't been consistant with my writing since January (moving house stress, starting new job stress, having guy problems, feeling demotivated then lockdown happening) and I've tried a few times to get back on the writing horse but haven't been very successful. I have been working on other side projects (latest zine - coming soon) and other interests (tarot readings - if intrigued ask me) but my love of film has been diluted of late and this isn't because of all the pre lockdown things, its literally been because of lockdown. I know I'm not the only one out there feeling like this and there really isnt a magic cure for this very odd variation of writer's block. So instead I've retreated into my comfort zone of rewatching films that I find an easy watch or could have on in the background and TV shows that make me laugh no matter how many times I watch them.

To try and get me out of this comfort zone, I have watched a few films I haven't seen before whether I wanted to (hopefully my Charlie's Angels review will be up soon, either here or on Vulturehound) or because I'm watching it with my friends (my uni friends are still having our film nights/days over zoom) or because I was so intrigued I made myself watch it (The Platform on Netflix, its horrible but very good) and finally I made a pile of all the films I own that I haven't watched yet BUT that pile was then tidied away when I reshelved my collection. Instead of watching all the films I wanted but didn't have time before I have rewatched 'Ready Player One' and 'Oceans 8' many many times as they are both easy watches.

But the real comfort has been TV. In between watching 'Tiger King' over a few days and managing to cram in 'The Pale Horse' and wait impatiently for the next Mandalorian episode, I've rewatched 'Brooklyn Nine Nine from seasons 3-6 twice. I have also rewatched Schitts Creek seasons 3-5 twice, not including when I watch the entire show the first two weeks of March before lockdown. These two shows have taken the place of my favourite go to comfort show, 'Parks & Rec' which I regularly from seasons 2-7 (first season isn't great). I have watched the latest season of 'Kim's Convenience' in the middle of all this but otherwise its been title of your sex tape jokes and enjoying David's quips and outfits.

The need for comfort TV or films is having something familiar and reliable, you know how it ends and you know what to expect which is what I've needed in these very uncertain and terrible times. My attention is also not fully needed as, again, I know what happens. BUT I have avoided my Lord of the Rings marathon, even though these are my favourite films and this is the perfect opportunity to rewatch them. But I have avoided the films and others as they deserve my respect and full attention. It may seem an odd way to look at it but that's just how I'm feeling right now.

I actually had several posts planned out, which I wrote out last month, here's hoping that my motivation returns and I can steer myself out if this block as no matter how many crumpets and gin I consume, its not changing my state of mind. Hope you're all doing better than me out there!