Friday 17 May 2019

When Is a Review Not a Review?


I wonder about 'reviews'. When people ask me about my blog and say 'I write about films' they usually respond with 'you mean film reviews and stuff?' I try to explain that I don't set out to write reviews but sometimes my words shape up that way. I like to make a point that the words I write are my own opinion unless stated or quoted otherwise. I wouldn't go as far as saying that I write feature length articles, I do of course research - either out of curiosity or necessity and that is usually required for articles and the like. But I don't feel I write reviews either. This leaves me to go on further, explaining what film means to me but then I become aware that I'm being, what my sister calls me, a film snob. So, then I stop and say 'Yeh,  reviews, something like that.' I do write reviews for other sites, with the full intention I am writing a review, but on my my own blog, I think I am entitled to write however I please.

To be honest, I think that reviews are just people's opinions that are meant to speak to everyone. But if you have to write for Sight and Sound or for example, The Guardian, your opinion is gold but if it isn't, it's nothing more than white noise. When I recommend a film to someone, they either listen or don't, which is fine. But when I've suggested or recommended a film but I'm met with resistance because 'it's not meant to be good' or 'looks rubbish' but then only later after a gold opinion is heard is the recommendation taken, THEN I get annoyed. To be honest this is mostly something my parents do. If someone on the radio or TV says its good, then they'll go see it and then tell me about it despite the fact that I was the one that mentioned it in the first place. OK, this is mainly about family. 

I find that the best opinions and reviews come from fellow film bloggers, film critics and film enthusiasts I've met or read on the great wide web. There are dozens of amazing fellow film fanatics who's opinions are more than a soundbite on a 'prestigious' radio show. I admit, I'm not the greatest 'commenter' and for that I apologise, but it doesn't mean I haven't read your work.

As well as reading online, I try and read magazines in print (support print!) from the big guns, Empire magazine to the indie made film zines such as Dear Movies. I think I talked about or at least tweeted my support of the beyond amazing limited zine series, Filmme Fatales, all the way from Australia. I also read when I can Shelf Heroes (beautifully designed and put together along with great pieces) and on a more serious in depth note, Another Gaze. Whenever I find a new film zine or magazine, I do get a little excited to see that film reviews/criticism is not dead.

So, when reading about film, you can decide whether it is a review or not. Support film writing in print and if someone recommends a film to you, don't ifnore then watch and then tell them about it. Film etiquette.