Thursday 9 May 2019

Thursday Movie Picks: Movies You Have a Different Opinion After a Rewatch


The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
Would you believe there was a time when I DIDN'T like this epic film from Wes Anderson? I first watched the film, borrowing it from the library, thinking that it would be more of that Anderson charm but I at first I thought it was all over the place, just a large cast who didn't really know what they were doing, stop motion animation thrown in, a sudden a puzzling death two thirds in, I hated it. BUT by chance I watched it again a few months later and realised its a work of art and everything I thought was a mess was in fact pure genius. From the odd introductions, the amazing cut away boat boat scene, that famous singer singing David Bowie songs randomly, that amazing rescue of the bond stooge and that ending that shows there is hope. I love this film.

Dirty Dancing
There was a time I though this Patrick Swayze 80s cclassic was just really cheesy and over rated. I didn't even rate this as a guilty pleasure BUT then I read about the film from another point of view, Hadley Freeman's most excellent book, 'Life Moves Pretty Fast' and I watched the film again. Now I tell everyone to watch it, its a pro abortion film and I'm very much all for women's choice. Most people look at me oddly or try and tell me I'm wrong BUT read the book guys and you'll be enlightened like I was.

Django Unchained
Highly anticipated and thoroughly enjoyed at the cinema BUT upon a second viewing of Tarantino's film where he has the worst 'cameo' ever it beats M. Night Shyamalan, was that the film was dull. The best two characters were killed off way too quick and the rest, well, not great.


Don't forget to check out where it all started over at
Wandering Through the Shelves