Thursday 27 December 2018

Watch List of 2018


With all the 'top ten' film lists alreday out there, mine comes in a little late. Looking similar to other lists and with a few 'obviously that was on the list' films, its been an odd year. There have been some truely superb films out there BUT they've had such a short release in cinemas it seems strange to see them listed even though the film deserve to be there.

A few surprise (for me) films have not made the final list, simply because I wanted to be brutal and only go for the '10. The Coen brothers' anthology, ahead of its time, old West film, 'The Ballad of Buster Scruggs' was brilliant, well, 5 out of the 6 stories were brilliant. I won't ramble on about how much I admire the Coens and how those who have watched the film and slated it need an education is storytelling, as you can read that HERE. Another film which rather screams 'Katie's kind of film', Assassination Nation' was a favourite of mine from LFF 2018 but I it deserves a second viewing for me to really get into it.

You may have noticed I have NOT included some truely brilliant films such as Infinity Wars, Deadpool 2 or Crazy Rich Asians. I do love these Hollywood films but I wanted to highlight other films that really deserve to be on 'best of 2018' lists:

Skate Kitchen*, Dir. Crystal Moselle

 Supa Modo*, Dir. Likarion Wainaina, The Shape of Water*, Dir. Guillermo del Toro, You Were Never Really Here, Dir. Lynne Ramsay

 Isle of Dogs, Dir. Wes Anderson, The Breaker Upperers*, Dir. Madeleine Sami & Jackie van Beek, American Animals, Dir. Bart Layton

 Sorry to Bother You, Dir. Boots Riley, Lady Bird*, Dir. Greta Gerwig, The Square, Dir. Ruben Östlund




*All these films pass the Bechdel Test


With the lack of Photoshop (I'm so lost without it) please forgive me my dull and boring pictures included in my posts from the last month.