Sunday 4 November 2018

September/October Watch List


Some films I missed off September and the very few outside the festival from October, but instead, here are the quick rounds of thoughts on some the films of the last two months:

American Animals
This film really deserves more than a few lines but for now I'll say this film is not a based on a true story, it is a true story. Its a brilliant devised combination of the fiction and reality that doesn't blur the lines of truth but in fact what each of the four guys involved in the failed heist of pricelss books. Even though you can guess the final outcome, you realise by the end that you really can never predict a story like this. The stupidity of people thinking they can pull of this theft is beyond comprehension. Documentary style works so well with the fictionalised scenes of the four guys' reality and how they remember things. And true to true crime stories, not everything is revealed. A question over some detailed is only known by one person and they never give away the real answer. A brilliant film that deserved way more attention than it got. Sometimes people just don't understand what they're missing. 4/5

Life Animated
Beginning as a tragic family story that builds into a heart warming tale of how Disney really did help one boy is just so wonderfully put together with all the usual archival materials as well as animation itself, is one of the best documentaries I've seen and one of the most beautiful stories I've heard in a long time. 4/5

Faces Places
I know some may be outraged that I'm not dedicating an entire post to Agnes Varda but one day I will. I'm actually very new to her work and the wonderful person she is, so, give me time. This has ended up with my trio of documentaries  on this month's watch list. I've not seen a documentary, in a long time where its been such a joyful and whimsical journey. Varda and photographer JR join together to take their art and hearts on the road and its perfection. Personally, I see this film and I think this collaboration gives hope to the future of art and filmmaking. I really wish they'd come to UK and paste up their giant art on villages here. 4/5

An Evening with Beverly Luff Linn
Full review is over at My Film Club and can be read HERE. 4/5



For all the films I watched at London Film Festival, most, not all links to my reviews can be found HERE