Wednesday 31 October 2018

An Ode to Horror


To all the films I've never watched.

Whenever I am asked what sort of films I like to watch, its easier to say what I don't enjoy watching. My reply is 'anything, except horror film'. But over time, again, my prefered taste in films has refined even more. I like to think I'm driven by story and character but we all pick films because of who made it, who's in it and if its based on something else. I add to the list of not well loved genres such as general war films, even westerns, but there are films I love from both genres. Horror on the other hand, has always been the unwanted genre in the corner who I most likely wouldn't speak to at a party. I think it's about time horror and me had a better understanding. Especially as I have actively in the last few years gone out of my way to make myself watch films I might have never dared to, from 80s slasher, to creepy cult, to comedy screams and the unexpected bloody psychological. I'm trying and seeing new things. The more I watch, the more, I hope it makes me want to write. I know what kind of horror I can take, blood is fine but gore is not neeed. Even a comedy can be terrifying and I will never watch that kind of film again at 8:30 am. I am still driven by story and character so I shouldn't cut myself off.

To all the horror films I've never watched. Just be patient, I might still get to see you.


But Experimental, you and me will never be.