Thursday 26 October 2017

TMP Halloween/Television Edition: Horror






I was super obsessed with this mini horror series when it first aired. No one was watching it at uni and I leant the DVD to a friend but alas, it never made its way back to me. But I really loved it for some odd reason, I even had a pin badge with 'Don't kill Jimmy' on it, reference to the show. This was my gateway horror so that I could later watch all first three seasons of AHS back to back over a week (I was so messed up after that). It was a mediocre story about a woman, Abby, who returns to her home town, Harper's Island. Her mother was murdered by a serial killer years previously, even with the killer thought to be dead, she feels uneasy. She is there to attend the wedding of her best friend Henry to an heiress, Trish. She reunites with old friends, her Dad and her old boyfriend (Jimmy) but there also happens to be a serial killer on the island taking out the guests one by one. A special torment for the series was that each episode is named after the side effect of how the latest victim is killed. Grim but still so good to watch. I think I liked it more because there is an actual end, no sequel here.



I would pick a season but there are so many deliciously horrific ones to choose from. My theory, well, more my opinion is that all the odd numbered seasons are the better ones, mostly because season 4 & 6 weren't very popular. Murder House and Coven are my favourites. I never bothered with Roanoke past a few episodes, I just couldn't watch it. I'm struggling with Cult so far as I have a problem with clowns and can only watch the show comfortably during the day, so I'm super behind. I like the theory of the nine circles of hell, each season fitting into an over all specific hell. Pondering what the next two seasons could bring...whatever they are, it'll be terrifying (to me).


Does anyone remember when Big Brother was a reality TV game show? Now its just a joke and a husk of what it was back in the first series. Well at the height of the show's popularity, this zombie horror drama was made and its actually not that bad. On eviction night, the crowds outside the house are gathering, the housemates are all celebrating and the crew behind the scenes are just going through the motions. In the midst of a zombie outbreak, the housemates, unknown to them are left without a clue of what happening, that is until the TV crew break in to escape the horrors outside. I remember seeing bits of this way back when, so my memory is hazy, but I remember everyone did praise it at the time.

Don't forget to check out where it all started over at
Wandering Through the Shelves