Sunday 23 March 2014

The Root Of It

A day off means time to sleep, do the washing, food shopping and baking.

It was my turn to bake something for bake club at work this week and I wanted to make something along the lines of my last offering. I had already made pumpkin and I will make it again but I thought a new challenge would be better this time.

I went for sweet potato and I very glad I did. I think having root veg in a cake/sweet recipe is the way forward. I already have a desert plan for Easter.

It was annoying the recipe was American, we Brits do like measurements, that way you know exactly what to do. Luckily my sister had the measuring 'cups' so there was no issue there, not like the last time I made a US recipe.

The recipe called for 3 round cake tins, thinking this was too many, I used 2 seeing as I couldn't understand why as it was not a layered cake recipe. I ended up making 2 small cakes, which was great, but next time I'll use 3 and try and make it layered, something new.

I had my usual issues panicking about when to take out the cakes out of the oven, hovering next to the oven, looking in. I also found out about the hand whisk and I was allowed to use it (belongs to my mum). I stir everything by hand and I'm so used it that whenever a new machine is involved I'm relieved.

Here's the recipe if you fancy trying it out for yourself. My adventures in baking will continue, but I think I want to try and fins another gluten and wheat free recipe, try a new challenge.
Cake
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 1½ cups oil
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 tablespoons cinnamon
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 2 cups sweet potatoes, grated
Icing
  • ½ cup (1 stick) butter - roughly 120g
  • 1 cup (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
  • 2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla


  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. In a large bowl, mix together sugar, eggs and oil. Add remaining ingredients one at a time, adding potatoes last.
  3. Coat 3 (or 2) round 9-inch baking pans or 1 sheet cake pan with a nonstick spray. Spread batter into pans.
  4. Bake in round pans for 25 minutes or in a sheet cake pan for 35 minutes. Insert a toothpick in the center to determine doneness. Cool in pans before turning out for frosting.
  5. To make the icing, cream together butter and cream cheese. Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
  6. Spread on cooled cake, over the top and sides of a sheet cake.