Thursday 3 May 2012

He Had an Army, They Had a Hulk

It is slightly unfair that Iron Man/Tony Stark are on this poster twice. Plus it looks odd. And Loki isn't even on here.

Ahhhh, that's better.

So. I saw one of the most anticipated films of the year, Avengers Assemble, as it ended being called. It was FANTASTIC! The circumstances I saw it were odd. I had just had an interview and it was about 10:00 am and I thought I don't want to waste the day in London, but not much is going on. Thank god it was half term, there was a showing at 10:20am, couldn't believe my luck. Unfortunately it was 3D and my glasses on top of my glasses get falling off but I made the best of it.


The film was everything I had hoped to be. And being a huge fan of the other films I doubt I would have been upset with anything I saw. The added bonus of Joss Whedon directing it too made the film even better. For those who have been living under a rock or just don't like films, the story goes as follows. After all the other films from the Marvel Studios hinted at, all the superheroes, Captain America, Thor, Iron Man, The Hulk and the added addition of S.H.E.I.L.D agents, Black Widow and Hawkeye are gathered together to save the world from, one the best (British as usual) villians, demi-god Loki, Thor's brother and all round evil person. He has an army of Aliens at his disposal, all he has to do is open the portal.

Of course there is the whole meet and greet of each superhero, which doesn't always go well, but after some witty banter and heated fight scenes, they start to work together and become one heck of a mighty force. I have to say my favourite characters in all this, apart from Loki, Tom Hiddleston was truly born to play this part, is the ever steady Agent Coulson. He has featured throughout the films, sometimes as a side characters and sometimes as an integral part, but he's always there, with brilliant same expression genius. I think the fans are right, a spin off indeed!


Each Avenger is given plenty of screen time, no one over/under used, apart from maybe Hawkeye. But seeing as this is his first (bigger) role its understandable. Blink and you'll miss him role in Thor was only a taster. You can feel Joss Whedon's presence in the dialogue and in the tone of the film and I think that is what made the whole thing come together. All the film needed was one thing to go wrong, the director, but as I said, it was excellent. Also for all those Whedon fans, see if you can spot a few cameos, some more obvious than others.

Having read Civil War and The House of M, both heavy Avenger characters, I really want them to make them, but it would only work if they got more of the Avengers on board and that's including the X-Men. I can dream I suppose.

I keep wanting to quote the film but then I get confused and over whelmed because there are so many great lines, including Loki's speech in Germany. One quibble though, he is speaking English to them, but they're German, what if some of them didn't understand what he was saying? But hey, its Loki he can do what he likes, as some of the best lines went to him and Iron Man.

I urge you to see it. Ignore the hype and talk, make your own mind up and watch it. In 2D, 3D makes no difference.