Monday 8 January 2024

Watch List 2023

 

Another year of film and what a spectacular one it has been. Thankfully and with much effort I was able to see more films this time around, hopefully following that trend into 2024. With the all the voting done and lists revealed, here's my top films from the year.

A profound and most understated story that could be interpreted many ways, but for me it was about longing, lost love and the all too heartbreaking, 'what if'. I wrote about Past Lives for Filmhounds in the latest issue, which can be bought HERE.

All I have to say about the deliciously twisted film can be read HERE

This was the end of an era, my personal favourite Marvel storyline and with this ending the fighting family gang adventures, I don't need to see anymore Marvel film. This was as heartbreaking as any ending would have been. There were laughs and rage and tears, which pretty much sums up the film. Letting our gang go out with a bang and appropriate endings for them all. 

Based on the fantasy sci-fi graphic novel of the same name, the shapeshifter Nimona graced out screens via Netflix and left quite an impression. Amazing animation and special effects with gut wrenching storylines and great characters, my only wish would have been a theatrical release. I wrote about the film, in particular one of the best scenes in the film for Filmhounds, which can be read HERE.

One of the most under seen films of the year but with an ever pressing message. My review can be read HERE.

A favourite from LFF 2023, the slow burn thriller set in the Outback. My review can be read HERE.

Just when you thought romantic comedies had gone stale and were only for streamers. We get a story with two electric leads (with fantastic chemistry) set over the course of one day. The comedy was genuine, the romance not over kill, it was a perfect mix and thankfully, this was on the big screen where it should be.

The title feels hard hitting but its more than that. My review can be read HERE.

Taking the world literally by storm. We all willing took that hand and were drawn into the world of possession. This hit a chord with so much so I made a zine! My full review can be read HERE. Sadly, all the zines are sold out.

The biggest question of the Summer, Barbie or Oppenheimer? Of course I saw the one about a land where all the Barbies dolls live out their most progressive careers, until one Barbie and Ken escape to the real world. Christopher Nolan's biopic was decent but in no way would I choose that over Barbie. This film had everything (except the ending, for me I had some issues), with not only hilarious moments, but a Ken musical number, toxic masculinity dive, and seeing the entire board of Mattel chasing Barbie all over town and into her world. There's too much to condense into a few sentences here to convey all the amazing aspects of the film, so thats Kenough for now.