Tuesday 8 March 2022

Agatha & Agatha



Its’s International Women’s Day and I really wanted to celebrate this year, having missed out last year and deciding not to join in with online events, I was all Zoom-ed out. In fact, I don’t think I did anything the year before. Unfortunately, due to working from home, it’s difficult to get to any outside event at a decent time and I haven’t been proactive enough for the online events. So, this is my small tribute on IWD. 

Having been burnt out for a few months (still am) I’ve been kept sane through murder mysteries of the cosy crime variety as my other favourite, crime thrillers, was getting to me. I have been watching my favourite Agatha Christie adaptations and listening (and reading) M.C. Beaton’s series, Agatha Raisin, a PR genius turned private detective after moving to the Cotswolds. These two avenues have been a comfort and entertainment. Some new stories, some I’ve heard, watch, read many times over and don’t get bored of. 

After revisiting the David Suchet series of Poirot and the ITV series of Miss Marple, I also rewatched the BBC adaptation of The ABC Murders and I must admit, John Malkovich was a pretty decent Poirot. I also finally watched Death on the Nile (1978) which turned out to be the most faithful adaptation, complete again with an all-star cast. If anyone loves cosy crime and hasn’t yet read/listening to an Agatha Raisin, I highly recommend any of the books. Alas author M.C.Beaton died in 2019 and the latest books have been written with another author who hasn’t quite got the same flare as Beaton. If you prefer audiobooks, Penelope Keith is superb as the reader of all the books, or if you prefer to watch your cosy crimes, there is an adaptation with 4 series with Ashley Jensen as Mrs Raisin. 

This is really a thank you to Agatha and Agatha for getting me through the last few months. Also, a nod to World Book Day last week with the all the writers (mostly women) whose work I’ve been reading over the last year. Hope you’re all celebrating in your own ways.