Thursday 24 December 2020

Merry Christmas

Every year I watch a Christmas film I’ve never seen before, may be old or new. The added tradition now is I add the latest Netflix Christmas film too, but this year only a series caught my eye, Dash & Lily which was exactly what I had expected from Netflix. Wholesome, teen orientated romantic, family drama with a smattering of comedy. It got me in the Christmas mood at least. Instead of adding one more film to the mix, I ended watching several Christmas films I had never seen before. In these times, what else was there to do? I can at least savour the fact that I got to watch two favourites in the cinema before we were all deprived of that joy.

 

One film in particular has stayed with me throughout the month as I saw it in the first week of December. Released last year, on Netflix BUT not the typical Netflix film, Klaus. No idea how I missed this film last year. It is one of the most beautiful animated films I’ve seen in a very long time (Wolfwalkers aside here, this is Christmas). It tells the story of how Christmas was started or at least how the myth, the legend, the story of how Father Christmas was created and not from his point of view but from a spoilt arrogant postman sent to the back of beyond as a punishment. Rolling into one film a Scrooge type character who begins his quest to post 6,000 letters in a year by getting the children to send letters to the reclusive, woodsman who makes toys. The story isn’t forced or cliché as it unfolds, its magical, heart-warming and doesn’t go over the top. Even the side plot about the rivalry between two families in the town doesn’t derail this very wholesome tale of friendship, gift giving and yes, letters. The filmmakers even manage to include folklore and the Sami people too.

 

How on earth did this film lost out at the Oscars to Toy Story 4, which wasn’t the greatest, I’ll never understand. But at least the film will get a lease of life every Christmas season and hopefully more people will enjoy and know the wonder that is Klaus.

 

 

Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas wherever you are!