Saturday 16 May 2020

So, You Want To Make A Film?



I recently spoke to a friend who I hadn’t spoken to in ages, time and distance being the main reasons. But at the moment, that doesn’t matter and we were able to catch up. One the stories I told them about was how I made a film, back in 2017 and it wasn’t completed until a year later. They told me how they had been involved with a few filmmakers who had asked favours and they’d obliged but vowed to never again agree to such favours. One filmmaker had asked to use their flat and they’d said yes, even though it was because the flat was perfect for a drug den (mildly insulting). That particular film was shot years ago and still wasn’t finished. After hearing this, I felt slightly better about the last film I made.

Despite the pain and aggro that the post production of the film had caused, I was happy to see it finished and proud of what was made. This didn’t quite outweigh my disappointment that the post production on this 10-minute film took over a year to finish and this meant momentum was lost, as well as interest. There wasn’t a chance to send it off to festivals which was the aim and it looked like there wasn’t a future which was such a shame considering the effort that so many people put in. My personal story about what happened will end up sounding bitter so I won’t relate it hear. I do wish I had just taken sole ownership of it at one point, then the film might have had a better future but too late now. My main thought, after my friend told me about the unfinished drug den set film was that, there must be so many filmmakers out there who have plenty of stories like this. Where do all the unfinished or abandoned films go? There are so many filmmakers with ideas out there, all wanting to make films, have them up on the big screen, see their stories play out but as making a film and getting everyone involved is one of the hardest and most rewarding things I’ve done. 

I am not an expert. But when it comes to making low to no budget films, who is? Anyone undertaking a project/film, short or feature, will learn from experience. My minimal experience on other people’s projects was different to my own films as situations and leadership varies from project to project or film to film.

Making a film is about three different things; having an idea, convincing people to help you make this idea become reality and actually seeing the idea through to sometimes the bitter end. This may be a bleak or over simplified way of explaining how films get made, but in my own experience, this has been it. Where, as it is possible to make a film on your own, with just you holding the camera, acting all the parts if fictional, cutting it together later and uploading it to whatever site you subscribe to, if you want to make a film that is a bit more up market, you will need a crew and cast/contributors. You will also need to complete a **** ton of paperwork if you want to do things at a slightly professional level. A handshake agreement might work with one or too family members but contracts are needed, just in case. Filmmaking is a collaborative form of art and to be honest, that’s part of the fun (and stress). I applaud anyone who makes a film (whether the end result is good or bad) just because I know how bloody hard it can be. But I would also say to those who want to make a film, proceed with caution.

A few things I can advise or suggest, obviously, you don’t have to listen to me, this is just from what I’ve experienced. Work with people you trust 100%. Establish whether the film is for fun or has a purpose. Compromise if you have to. Films cost money, expect to go over your budget or budget for extra. Don’t be rude to people doing you a favour, especially if there’s no money involved. Accept that things go wrong and you have to improvise. Not everyone is going to like or watch your film, even after all that hard work you put it, accept this, a weight will be lifted from your shoulders.

So, while we’re in lockdown and either thinking about making a film or making your next one, you have plenty of time to be pre-production. They’ll be lots of ideas out there just waiting to be realised after all this has calmed down and wish luck to all the filmmakers out there.