Friday 1 November 2019

Rolling On


As the 10th anniversary screening of 'Whip It' rolls into sight, here's a very small glance at my zine commemorating the occasion as well as a little something about the sport I'd thought I'd share.

Back in 2010, I hadn’t heard of roller derby. My uni friend hadn’t really either BUT she had heard of a new film staring Ellen Page directed by Drew Barrymore and wanted to see. My sister was working at Odeon at the time and her friend at work happened to be friends with roller derby players. They made an appearance at the cinema to promote the film, there was a bits of free merchandise handed out and the promise that this was going to be a great film and the beginning of something new and fun.

I’m not sure if this was before or after the film was released but my Uni friend and I become obsessed with roller derby, from going to our very first game or bout as its called. We even started to back a team, the Steam Rollers, we tried to go all league games, even the championship. My friend was so invested in the sport she even bought the gear; skates, helmet and protection pads. We loved the film, I couldn’t stop listening to the soundtrack and was very eager to get my hands on the DVD when it finally came out.

Towards the end of that year, my friend started to lose interest in the sport, nearly missing one of the big games even. The spell was sort of broken but I understood, she had started dating her new girlfriend and didn’t have time for things like roller derby. I still clung on to the roller derby dream, even when a new team was added to the league I supported. I went to the games with my sister still as she had loved it as much as me. But soon as after those few new champion league games, I too left roller derby behind. Maybe it was due to my final uni year being over, or the depressing thought of having to job hunt in a recession, but the shine of roller derby felt long gone.

Fast forward to 2015 and I’m in a job I hate but at least I’m working with my best friend. For some reason roller derby comes up and I think back to those days at leisure centre near Seven Sisters. I convince my best friend to come with me to a game. He doesn’t sports either but I think he’ll like this. It’s the first time I’d been to a game in years. The teams have all changed but the atmosphere and spirit is the same. We grab some beers, queue for a while and we’re off! I wonder how I managed to miss all the years in between and my friend is having a great time. We cheer and shout with little clue as to who we support but it doesn’t matter, we’re back! But the chance to go to another game doesn’t come round again and soon enough, roller derby is put on the back burner.

With the film’s 10th Anniversary coming up this year, it seems too good an opportunity to miss to revisit the film and the sport I used to love so much. I’m proud to say that roller derby is the only sport I actually enjoy watching and nowadays I find myself looking for a game I can go to, hoping I can make it. I haven’t given up. So if you know of any games happening soon in London, let me know!

 #whipit #rollerderby