Thursday 1 March 2018

Thursday Movie Picks: Oscar Nominated Movies that should have Won



Mad Max Fury Road-Best Picture 2015
The brilliant epic return of Mad Max with a feminist twist that (for me) was not over blown and so perfectly excecuted. A road trip of violent, blood drenched proportions is considered a 'blockbuster' and it is rare that a film like this (science fiction-ish) is nominated fot Best Picture, Director anda cting awards. The film did win 6 awards but not the 'big' prize which I feel it desereved. Imperator Furiosa and the wives are a group of women fighting for freedom and hope, with Max along for the ride, it is a blockbuster on production scale, but there is more to this film than budget costs.

Walk the Line-Joaquin Phoenix-Best Actor 2005
It was tough choice back in 2005, with all the actors in the giving great performances. For me it was always between Heath Ledger and Phoenix but it was only when I saw Philip Seymour Hoffman's performance in 'Capote' years later that I understood why he won. Saying this, I still feel tha Phoenix should have won for his amazing performance as Johnny Cash, songs and all. 'Walk the Line' is still one of favourite soundtracks. I fear that Phoenix, as an actor nominated quite a few times for awards, he will end up winning for the wrong thing. But its comforting to know Phoenix couldn't care, he doesn't act for awards. 

Song of the Sea -Best Animated Film 2014
As one of the more recent categories, only implemented in 2001, most of the nominations are Disney and Pixar. In 2009, 'The Secret of Knells' was nominated, made by Irish animation company, Cartoon Saloon. They were beat by 'Up', which I think is actually rather overated. Cartoon Saloon was nominated again in 2014 with 'Song of the Sea', which is unbelieveably beautifully animated in 2D. The story too is heartbreaking and heartwarming at the same time, celebrating an animation that isn't in America. 'Big Hero 6' won that year and although I warmed up to the film, I still don't think it deserved the award that year. Cartoon Saloon are up for the awards again this year with the absolutely exquist 'The Breadwinner' which SHOULD win. But as Disney/Pixar is also I nominated, I fear once again, a brilliant original production company will be painfully over looked.


 Don't forget to check out where it all started over at
Wandering Through the Shelves