Friday 2 March 2012

The New Flavour of the Moment

I would have said pun intended but I'm not quite if it is . . . 

So it was Vampires, then some werewolves, and zombies too but the new crazy thing to have in a film or be about are . . .  cannibals. And it scares the s**t out of me.

I've done some research into this and it really freaked me out. This mostly, because all the other creatures are supernatural so aren't real, but cannibals are people. Also it reminds me of those awful scenes in The Road, it still haunts me. It still haunts others too. All I said to my friend the other day was 'cannibals' and 'The Road' and she freaked out too. So anyone reading this and is now thinking about those two things, sorry if you're freaked out, but do continue reading.

Still on the subject of cannibals, my curiosity got the better of me, when I saw the trailer and read about Mexican thriller/creepy film, 'We Are What We Are' (2010) which happens to be about a family of cannibals who are left to fend for themselves when the father, the provider, suddenly dies. I read the plot first to ease myself into it (and so I wouldn't get too freaked out) and then watched the very creepy trailer. All I am going to say is, the end is left open. It freaked me out. So here is the trailer for you all to enjoy.
http://www.wearewhatweare.co.uk/

It comes as no surprise that there is an 'english language' remake in the works.



The main reason for this post is to talk about new British film (release date unknown), Elfie Hopkins. The story is about Elfie, 22 year old slacker and wannabe detective who lives in a small town, described as a 'sleepy hunting village'. Everything is changed when a new family, The Gammons move into the village. They are strange and talk of adventures in faraway places, but then soon people start to go missing. Elfie and her nerdy friend Dylan start to investigate and try and uncover the truth.

I think you can guess where this is going as its no spoiler, its in the trailer. The Gammon family are cannibals. When I first read about the film, I got really excited even though I thought the family would turn out to be ghosts or vampires or something. But finding out the are cannibals makes me feel unsettled but I still kind of want to see the film. Its curiosity. Which may be a bad thing, because curiosity killed the cat, or in this case, ate it.

Now I've just freaked myself out again.

Here is a link to the trailer and an article about the film: http://www.thisisfakediy.co.uk/articles/film/jaime-ray-winstone-in-elfie-hopkins/

I know there is only a few examples here but I bet in the coming year, films/TV will have cannibals featured, just like how fairytale rewrites are happening now.