Friday 15 May 2015

Fandom Friday: Watchable Shows


I have to admit, trying to narrow this list down to just 5 is really hard, I could probaby get the list down to a top 10, but even then, I've be struggling. So, instead of including all the shows that I love and rewatched like Arrested Development, 30 Rock, Parks and Recreation (which I still need to finish) abs Sabrina the Teenage Witch as the show is awesome, I've gone for the shows that I watched rapidly and a couple of rookies, if that's even a thing ....


1. Community
Not only have I have some friends say I should watch the show, my sister and my brother in law said it but the internet also kept telling me. The internet and the TV powers that be wanted me to watch the show so much that they put it on Netflix, all 5 seasons. I had nothing to watch so, I was absorbed into Greendale Community College singing Pierce you're a bee, playing paintball shoot outs, real zombie attacks, getting Changnisa or whatever its called, thinking me and Abed are two halves of a whole, I absorbed it all. I watched all 5 seasons in less than a week. I couldn't stop. After I watched it, I waited a week or so, then watched it all over again. I wanted to fight for Blanketsburg, take part in any of the dances happening, watch Troy and Abed in the Morning. POP POP! I love the show. But what's weird is, I haven't seen Season 6, not sure how to be honest.

2.Agents of Shield
This is a show I could watch all the time. They had me at 'I'm engineering, she's biochem'. I loved that the only character that we knew was Coulson, I loved that the cast was a group of people I had never seen (apart from Fitz & Simmons - British TV) before. It worked. Of course the show did spawn my biggest obession since Starbuck and Apollo, that's right, FitzSimmons. My favourite characters and the heart of the show, or at least, they were. They were ruined, torn apart, only to finally find each other again and then (SPOILER) been taken apart YET again. Anyway, I love the show, cannot wait for season 3. I rewatched Seaon 1 just before Season 2 finale, over two days.

3. Battlestar Galactica
I thank my friend Alex for introducing me to Battlestar Galactica. I gave her 30 Rock and she gave me this amazing show. Apart from 30 Rock, its still one of the best shows EVER made. And the kick? It's a remake of an 80s series. How can I express how amazing this show is in a few sentances? It's a science fiction film which is actually a military show mixed with a survival story with added Cylons. Humanities last hope ina few ships searching the galaxy for a new home, Earth. With added astrology in the mix it was an instant hit. I didn't watch this show as fast as some of the others as only 4 seasons were out when I started, I loved it so much I carefully drip fed myself the episodes not wanting to run out of BSG. Each year, at some point, I rewatch the entire series, it just, needs to be done. I put myself on this emotional journey and get punched in the stomach season 5 and then say 'y'know, the finale, really isn't that bad'.

4. American Horror Story
I'm not a fan of horror. But I was drawn to this series like damn moth to the flame. I hate moths too. I think what possessed me to watch the show was that it was on Netflix. If you're running out of things to watch, Netflix has the answer. I was actually scared of the show but I couldn't take my eyes off it. I watched seasons 1-3 in a week and a few days. I really enjoyed the fact that each season was its own contained story, a new setting, new cast members, new characters and that there was a new theme in each story, infidelity, sanity, oppression and discrimination. I know many people, fans didn't enjoy Coven but I like it, Freak Show had a great concept but not much more. My favourite so far is still Murder House and I did enjoy Asylum but I found this the most terrifying but still massively disappointed by its terrible final 2 or 3 episodes, they actually ruined the season with those. I cannot wait for Season 5, Hotel, perfect setting.

5. GreenWing
I needed a British show in here, fly the flag and all. But this, this was the first TV show I was all fan freaky over. I went to meet the actors and get the DVD signed when each series came out. I have photos of the younger me with one of favourite British actors, Stephen Mangan. He's hilarious. The show is just pitch perfect with the characters and the bizarre stories. Through the crazy-ness that happens, real stories happen. The first couple in TV we (British public) got obsessed about, Caroline and Mac, Caromac. It's surprising how a comedy drama set in a hospital about the staff from various departments could be award winning. The script is pure genius and cast are perfect. I rewatch the precious 2 series and special whenever I want to be inspired about comedy as there is nothing better. Apart from 30 Rock. 

Special Mentions :


Fringe gets a mention as I watched seasons 1-4 in a couple of weeks, loved the show but wasn't keen on season 5, it dragged a bit, story wise.

Crimes of Passion is a Swedish murder mystery drama that's just brilliant. Rather dark in some episodes and isn't light and fluffy like some dramas (but I like those too).

Orphan Black was introduced to me by my friend Alex too and in return I advised her to watch Haven. I love that show, but Season 5 has been hit and miss for me. Anyway I love the clones, gotta collect them all. Can't wait for season 3.