Saturday, 8 June 2013

Meet Me at Land's End

 I woke up this morning and it was dark. It was raining. Couldn't believe it. I got sun burnt yesterday and today it was raining. Thunder storms and everything. I was tempted to go outside to see a Cornish storm but I had breakfast instead.

I thought about waiting til later for the weather to change because according the BBC it would but I was impatient and went out as the rain calmed down. I was determined that my plans would not e ruined by morning rain. I got the explorer bus that takes you all around the coast from Penzance to St Ives. It was open top and the sun had come out just as the bus was heading out so I braved the upstairs. Luckily my seat wasn't wet from the rain so I settled in for about an hour's drive. It was brilliant. Although my hair was ruined once again and it was really rather windy up there on the top, I had a fantastic view of everything.

We reached Land's End and just as most guide books have said the gaudy 'Land's End Experience' is terrible and trivializing, it almost ruined what is meant to be a famous point in England. It is the end of the land. The visitor centre and all the bits and pieces near it are a waste of space. I walked through that bit to the famous sign post only to find a short queue of people lining up to have their photo taken but a random photographer and charged for something anyone could take. I skipped that part too and went straight to look at the view and walk along the cliff edge path. I thought the 'First and Last House' was interesting but even that was a lame cafe and gift shop. The view was amazing and the fact that I got to see it was enough. The tacky surroundings was something I could ignore. But I was very hungry by this point seeing as it was past midday.

I had planned to go to a recommended cafe but it was inland. I was told it would have taken me 15 minutes to walk. I was lied to. It took me 5 minutes to get out of Land's End and I wouldn't have made it back for the bus in time and I couldn't catch another. They are every 2 hours! So I had a meal at the cantine posing as a cafe. On the plus side, I was fed and I wrote a new story.

I caught the bus just in time, this time sitting on the lower deck as I was getting off at the next stop, Porthcurno. The lady bus driver had some skill maneuvering the giant bus around very narrow roads and dealing with very stupid drivers who kept causing traffic. After a short drive I arrived at my next destination.
I first caught a glimpse of the beach. Oh my god it was incredible. Now, I'm not the type to sit on the beach all day and blah blah blah, but oh my god it looked so inviting. It wasn't crowded and the water was so blue! It was clear it was bright, it made me want to run right in. I am hoping that I can get there tomorrow, but I'm hoping now everyone will do the same. More people seemed to arrive when I caught the bus back. I am also swimming costume challenged so I'll have to make do with paddling. I am also without a anything to sit on or dry my feet. But I was thinking of borrowing a B&B towel and pray they won't notice.

The trek up to the famous Minack Theatre was not as bad as the mount but by this point it was boiling hot. I had had to wear a scarf all day too as I was still sun burnt suffering, not fun. There was also not path for walkers so I had selfish cars zooming past me on the road. The layout of the Minack and the visitor centre is awesome, no other word to describe it. The out door theatre is situated 60 yards above the sea, I admit I did have trouble walking down to the stage on the sea side. The theatre staged its first production, The Tempest, back in 1932. Apart from Twelfth Night, I couldn't image a better production staged here. Mostly because of the island settings. I explored every part of it. If I had had more time I would have tried to see a play performed there. But after some refreshments and quick look around the gift shop I had to dash back down the hill to the bus stop.

Gravity was winning. The steepness of the road made me travel quicker but faster than I wanted, it was a hot day. I reached the bottom in 5 minutes whereas it took me 20 minutes to get to the top. And of course my bus was late anyway so I sat in the shade until I was chased away by a gigantic bee/wasp. I was also colder on the journey back. I sat up top for the view but I still fell asleep and woke up just before I saw a low hanging tree hit someone a few seats in front in the face. Most amusing and I ducked too.

As soon as I got off the bus I ran to Superdrug and got some after sun and sun lotion. On my way back to the B&B there was a man reading a map but trying to keep his coat that was tied up round his waste. He let it drop a little and then got muddled as he tried to walk, pull the coat and hold his map, but the coat was so far down that he couldn't walk. He then just dropped the coat and laughed. I was also laughing as it was very funny to watch.
 Moving on from me laughing, I am hoping that the weather is at least nice until tomorrow afternoon, I am going to the beach. Never thought I'd say that.

No comments:

Post a Comment