Thursday 25 January 2018

TMP Television Edition: Book to TV Adaptations


Dirk Gently
Just to make this clear, I have seen the Netflix series and I actually rather enjoyed it even though it has NOTHING to do with the original novel(s), it literally could have been called anything else. The only thing that connects the show to the books is a character's name. It really annoys me. Very much.

Moving on. The British adaptation of Dirk Gently was superb. The pilot episode did actually follow bits of the original book and actually had the other characters included. Dirk's back story was also talked about and had real connection. Stephen Mangan is the one true Dirk Gently, solving crimes with old University friend, Richard MacDuff. Gently's hoslistic approach to his cases are amusing and really all do work out. With science fiction thrown into the mix of this drama with comedy, it really a rare find. With only a special and a 3 episode mini series to cherrish, this is much more rare than I thought.

A Series of Unfortunate Events
I remember reading these small hardback books, excited to read the next, excited to hear the audiobook on cassette tape with Tim Curry reading, for something so bleak, its really entertaining and hope is always on the horizon. Matched with Brett Helquist's amazing illustrations, the books by Daniel Handler are intricate, fueled by secrets and misery combined. The mystery behind the tragedy is far more than it lets on to be. As the Baudelaire orphans stumble upon clues to find out about why their parents were murdered, meeting 'relatives' and guardians, both kind and weird, they are pursued by Count Olaf, an evil man and a very bad actor. The fact that the show really does homage the books as well as follows them, the added character here and there is welcoming. The fact that yes there is tragedy, murder, conspiracy, word play just like the book and comedy can still be found, its feels so good to watch something so faithfully adapted. I'm super excited for season 2!

American Gods

I haven't read the book. I've seen it, its like a doorstep. But I think I should have attempted it as some parts of the show escaped me. A story about Shadow Moon (what a name) who is released from prison to find out his wife is dead and had been cheating on him too is rough but accepting a job offer from a shady man who hints that he is a god...that's something else. The plot revolving around the old gods and the new gods at war is intriguing, especially as how these gods are represented. One I found terrifying was - I actually found it uncomfortable. I also was not a fan of Laura Moon, she was a waste, literally. She had no expression and lacked presence, which is such a shame as she had potential. I rather enjoyed Gillian Anderson playing dress up, especially as she looked so good, especially as Bowie. The title sequence to this show is mesmerizing, you can't help but be drawn in. With a, I think you'd call it cliffhanger I'm eager to see season 2.


Don't forget to check out where it all started over at
Wandering Through the Shelves