Wednesday 31 January 2018

Remember That Show...Rome


Hey, remember that show that was about the transition of Ancient Rome from Republic to Empire but wasn't really about this, but was really about the rise and fall of Julius Caeser then rise of Ocatvian, his 'nephew' BUT really its about two Roman soliders named Lucius and Titus? No? I'm sure you do. It featured classic elements of all HBO shows, gratuitous sex and violence and was filmed at the famius (as well as other locations) Cinecitta studios in Italy. The show featured many great British actors and was a platform for new (again British) and rising talents.

I'm not actually sure why I was so hooked on this show. When it aired I was in my last year at school, GCSEs were behind me (almost) and I was planning my escape to college to study something interesting, film. I did watch a hell of a lot of TV, shows I wonder how I got away with watching, my parents said nothing. I think I watched the first series with them (super awkward). Again, none of my friends watched this show, I say that because this happened all the time. They watch Hollyoaks and Eastenders and reality TV and I watched violent delights from BBC and HBO.


The show started with the rise of Julius Caeser, ending the first season with his famous murder. Unlike Shakespeare's play, Mark Anthony did not make an eloquent speech, as he is portrayed as a hideous bute, a clever one though. Ocatavian, Caesar's blank faced, very clever, intimidating nephew is a teenager in the first season, but by the second season, he is a man and even more calculating, with cold eyes and a nasty manner. His mother, Atia of the Julii, lover of Mark Anthony and herself a terrible person is someone you do not cross. His sister, Ocatavia is probably the only 'nice' one in the family, used as a barganing chip by them and ruined by their decisions, floats through the story until she falls in love with a general in Octavain's army. This is where is all becomes a little melodramatic.

The show, although based on real people in history, does detour from fact (of course it does, its TV) and introduces new 'characters' those who wouldn't have been written about. The main two (who are actually based on a real soldiers of the same names, they were mentioned briefly in connection to Julius Caesar) are Lucius Vorenous, a Roman officer and Titus Pullo, soldier in the legion who have an epic bromance across the two seasons, from joining forces on a mission to starting their own brothel to separating, one to Egypt with Mark Anthony, the other to stay in Rome with Octavian.


The two seasons manage to cover quite a bit of history, including Mark Anthony and Cleopatra's famous affair that would be their downfall. Season two ends in a victorious parade with the lovers dead bodies paraded around the city and Octavian taking 'his place' in history. This show should have had more series but was cancelled due to the overwhelming budget. Despite the fact that the writers knew of this and had most character's stories are 'tied up', the last episode is still bittersweet. There were still more stories to tell.

I'm sure its out there to stream somewhere in its entirety, but for me, its time to say farewell to the show on DVD that I rewatched surprisngly quite a few times back in Uni.