Wednesday 3 January 2018

A Second Dose of Misery


In anticipation for the second season of Netflix's A Series of Unfortunate Events, I wanted to express my excitment. I could say its a sneal peak or a look at what's to come but really this is just me getting really excited about an adaptation of books that mean a hella lot to me.

Everyone has a book or series or more than book even, that they get really excited about, especially when the adaptation looks so promising. I was like this with The Hobbit (although I still think 2 films would have been much better than 3) and I'm hoping I'm still excited when Mortal Engines comes out. But I never finished the series, just the one book. I'll probably go crazy if Fables ever becomes a TV series AND is done well, but until all that, let me focus back to the long awaited second season of A Series of Unfortunate Events.


For those who read and love the books would have picked up the little hints from the first season that ellude to the second. Some things so minor I lept with joy. The joy of easter eggs for the old time fans was a nice touch from the makers. Covering The Austere Academy, The Ersatz Elevator (a favourite of mine), The Vile Village, The Hostile Hospital (another one of my favourites) and The Carnivorous Carnival. The 8th book is where things take a turn for the Baudelaires and they become the ones who have to wear disguises. But before all that happens, there are some fantastic parts in the books preceding.


The Baudelaires find themselves left at Prufrock Preparatory School with the a headmaster so awful he forces his students to listen to him play violin even though he can't play. Here is where they also meet their future partners in crime, of sorts, and recent orphans themselves, two of the Quagmire triplets. This will set up the season with more questions and less answers but in true Lemony Snicket fashion it will only get better, but worse for the Baudelaires.

With the new season and more books, this means there are some fantastic characters coming up and after seeing who is playing who, I'm even more excited! One of the staple characters, Esme Squalor, a supposed distant relation is played by Lucy Punch and her husband Jeromes by Tony Hale. Excellent casting! They will both appear in the The Ersatz Elevator. In The Austere Academy Roger Bart will be Vice Principle Nero, another casting choice I can't wait to see. And the cherry on top of this delicious cake is Nathan Fillion will be playing Jacque Snicket! I won't say when he appears as the TV show might mix things up and I hope they do as they have introduced a characters that doesn't exactly appear in the books, but another Snicket does but not until Book 11/12.


With promo photos mostly from The Ersatz Elevator (its is a great book) and a snippet from 5th and 8th, the 7th book, The Vile Village features briefly in the trailer BUT there is nothing from the 9th book, The Carnivorous Carnival, which I find odd.

What to expect in the next season? Well going by the books, more drama, more misery for sure, more deaths, nasty deaths actually, some surprises and further clues about 'the secret organisation' and VFD will turn up more often than not. I can't wait!

If you haven't seen the trailer, you can watch it HERE.

Something unfortunate is coming, again March 30th

@Unfortunate