Thursday, 29 September 2016

Thursday Movie Picks: Cults/Secret Socities


Don't forget to check out what Wandering Through the Shelves picked, the blog that started Thursday Movie Picks.

Its odd how everyone wants in on a secret society and cults are seen as scray things to avoid and usually involve the devil or someone being sacrificed. Well, that only applies to one pick this week...


Sound of my Voice
This was one of those films where I was dying to see but was quite disappointed by the end. A couple wan to make a documentary about a cult that they have heard about and their leader who claims to be from the future. They infiltrate the group but end up being on opposingsides about the leader, Maggie. There is a good story here but very little action. The cult seems non threatening but when Maggie wants to meet a young girl who she claims is her mother, the couple have to decide whether its gone too far or not. The ending is unsettling and makes you wonder but as a whole, the film loses pace too soon.

Eyes Wide Shut
Stanley Kubrick's finaly film about a man who tries to find out about a secret society was underwhelming.  The then married Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman was meant to be a 'big deal' but just wasn't. After being invited to a party with his wife, Bill encounters strange happenings and decides to pursue them. After speaking to a piano player he knows, he finds out that he has a 'gig' playing blind folded. Bill, curious, goes along to this 'party' dressed in costume and mask to discover that it is an orgy of some sorts as well as a strange ritual. People die and disappear myteriously and Bill's wife, Alice has weird dreams where she has sex witho other men while he watches. As I said, not great.

The Wicker Man 
 The film is disturbing and you can feel the creeping terror throughout the film. The notorious ending is horrible mostly because of how helpless the situation is and how terrifying. The late great Christopher Lee is perfect as the head of the weirdo cult of Summerisle but I'm actually feeling scared just thinking about the film again. Let us not think about the remake. Ridiculous really.

17 comments:

  1. Okay don’t know what happened but my first comment just sort of vanished. So let’s try again.

    The Wicker Man is one oddball unsettling flick but a marvel of tone and mood. I’ve heard the remake is a disaster and never had any interest in seeing it.

    Cruise and Kidman are two of my least favorite performers so seeing any of the films they made together has always been something I’ve avoided. Plus this one just didn’t look like my thing.

    Hadn’t heard of Sound of My Voice but it sounds underwhelming so thanks for the tipoff.

    I had really expected my first to be all over today but so far not so much my other two while good are much more obscure.

    12 Monkeys (1995)-In the future a deadly virus has wiped out most of mankind forcing those who remain to formulate a society underground while animals roam free on the desolate surface. James Cole (Bruce Willis), one of the workers in the underground world, has been selected by the ruling body to travel back in time and try to stop the secret society of the Twelve Monkeys who are believed to have instigated the plague. After a few misplacements in time he arrives in the present day and tries to find answers all the time pursued by people who think he’s insane. Potent, grim and fascinating with a completely unhinged performance by Brad Pitt that landed him an Oscar nomination.

    Ticket to Heaven (1981)-Reeling at the end of a long-time relationship with his girlfriend a young man (Nick Mancuso) seeking a change unwittingly falls in with a cult and is soon brainwashed and isolated. His best friend goes to great lengths to rescue him from their clutches and assist in his deprogramming but the cult does not let go easily. Intense, brutal low budget Canadian drama is loaded with now familiar faces including Kim Cattrall, Meg Foster and Saul Rubinek.

    The Brotherhood of the Bell (1970)-For the last 20 plus years a successful college professor (Glenn Ford) has belonged to a secret Ivy League society, The Brotherhood of the Bell, without being asked to actively participate in its inner workings. At the latest initiation a request is made of him with which he is leery to comply but does so against his better judgment leading to tragedy. Disgusted he attempts to exit the group but only as his life is systemically destroyed does he come to realize how insidious and far reaching the power of The Bell is. Premiered on television in the US but shown theatrically abroad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yeh, sorry about that. It's blogspot for you. It happens when I comment on others too. I'm going to bring back Disqu again.

      Yes the remake is a disaster, I watched some it and hated it so gave up. Good advise about Eyes Wide Shut, it's not worth the time. Its disappointing as its Kubrick too. I think I might be in the minority about Sound of my voice, but I really expected more.

      Great call on 12 Monkeys! Not heard of the other two picks, Ticket to Heaven sounds too much for me but Botherhood of the bell sounds interesting and I might be able to find to watch.

      Delete
  2. I LOVE Sound of my Voice. I almost went with it myself. Eyes Wide Shut is definitely a weird one, and I haven't seen the original Wicker Man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah the original Wicker Man is worth your time for sure. Nic Cage pretty much ruined the remake in fact the remake should never have happened.

      Delete
  3. I haven't seen any of these, but both Wicker Man and Sound of My Voice are popular this week. I'm intrigued to check out Wicker Man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for the Wicker Man you'll like it and wish you never saw it all at the same time... or at least thats how I felt. I think its the end that really gets me.

      Delete
  4. 2 other people picked The Sound of My Voice. It does sound good and these cults are dangerous. I have no desire to see Eyes Wide Shut but I might ...one day. I did see Wicker Man many years ago but just remembered the people in animal masks and being really scared

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cult stories are usually played out the same way BUT Sound of my Voice felt like it was going to be more than what it was.

      Delete
  5. Sound of my Voice and Wicker Man are both on my list but Eyes Wide Shut is one that's always interested me but I'venever actually seen! Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minds think alike right? I don't know if I'd recommend Eyes Wide Shut....its not very good.

      Delete
  6. Sound of my Voice was one of the films I considerd by choose Martha Marcy May Malene instead. Good choice with The Wicker Man, I choose it to. Very creepy ending indeed...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha Marcy May Malene was a better choice. I saw it once, thought it was brilliant but too much to watch again. Sound of Voice was a recent view so I put it in.

      Delete
  7. The Wicker Man is popular today. It should be, great flick. I'm not big on Eyes Wide Shut, but I should probably revisit it. Haven't seen your other pick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eyes Wide Shut was not great - it had the makings of a good film but just never went anywhere. Just got weirder. I'm also not surprised by the popular pick of the Wicker Man, Summerisle is powerful.

      Delete
  8. I completely agree with you on Eyes Wide Shut, honestly I was expecting something better from Kubrick. I haven't seen this version of The Wicker Man yet but everyone says it's great. I'll definitely check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the original Wicker Man, its one of those films that they never should have bothered remaking as its a classic classic. Double intended. :)

      Delete
  9. Haven't seen Eyes Wide Shut. Love the Wicker Man and I chose Sound of My Voice as well.

    ReplyDelete