Thursday 8 September 2016

Thursday Movie Picks: College Movies

Not a great fan of college films as they tend to be about the same old thing or just horror films. For me I had to dog real deep for these choices. I couldn't find any decent films set at University either, apart from Starter For Ten but I wasn't particularly fond of that film. Not really a University Challenge nerd, unlike my Dad. So I've gone for those I enjoyed and found weird.

Don't forget to check out what Wandering Through the Shelves picked, the blog that started Thursday Movie Picks.


Slackers
 When I found out that Jason Segel and Devon Sawa were in this almost hidden early 2000s so called rom-com set in college, I bought it for less than £1 and sat through it. To be honest, its not that great but if you're hungover and its the nearest thing to you, it's not a bad watch. A convolutred plot involving three, you guessed it, slackers who have scammed their way through 4 years of college, are found out by a very young (and annoying) Jason Schwartzman as 'cool' Ethan. Ethan is obsessed with Angela and has been stalking her. He makes a deal with the slackers, if they get him a date with his dream girl, he won't tell on them. Simple plot but it goes all over the place.

Damsels in Distress
Greta Gerwig being herself in this delightfully odd slightly comedic story about a group of female college students who the campus' suicide prevention centre. The plot wanders away from what they are trying to achieve and doesn't make sense some of the time and even has two amusing but beautifully crafted dance numbers at the end. Dispite the somewhat strange goings-on, I thought this was a nice, yes nice, change from the usual college movie garb.

Monsters University
I can't remember if I have already used this Disney Pixar sequel, but as I'm not a fan of college films, this was one I really liked, even though I know it was not liked but others. Before Monsters Inc, Mike and Sully went to college, both wanting to be scarers. Mike the underdog, Sully getting by on his family name and no hard work end up being thrown together in a competion, the 'Scare Games' where they fight for their futures at college. I thought the games were just great fun and sometimes you just need that from Pixar Disney.