Monday 28 January 2019

Why I Don't Care About the Oscars This Year


I used to love film award ceremonies. It used to be a special occassion where I would go insane if and when my favourite for a category didn't win and when they they did win, scream the house the down. But in the last few years, I haven't been able to stay up for the Oscars, I haven't looked further than highlights for the others and in the last two years, I've completely missed the BAFTAS. Last year was different though. I got to attend the BIFAs (British Independant Film Awards) and it was amazing. There was such a high buzz in the air, plus plenty of famous faces. In fact, last year's awards all round was great fun. I watched as many videos clips, tweets as I possibly could for all award ceremonies. I was invested in the films that had been nominated and couldn't predict all wins. BUT this year, its not the same.

The Oscars seems to have a 'every other year is good' rule. Although 'La La Land' gate was the year before, it still didn't boast a great ceremony all round, in my opinion. This year, its seems to be the same 5 films nominated for everything. How dull. I also haven't seen all the films this year, in fact I think it's just The Favourite (which I adored) that I've seen. Some of the films haven't been released yet over and here and I missed them at LFF, others I skipped. The Best Film selection is an odd bunch indeed. Some films it feels as if the academy has been obliged to give a nomination to. As always, the acting awards are all strategic, putting lead actors in supporting so they have a better chance? This keeps happening and I'm really sick of it.

There are only two awards I am interested in, Best Animated Feature and Best Foreign Language Film. The former, I am keen to see Isle of Dogs win (its an American film BUT the animation is all the handy talented works of the Brits) and of course Into the Spiderverse as it is the truely one of the greatest superhero films ever made as well as being the best Spiderman film. The latter award is the one I really want to see justice done. Nadine Labaki's 'Capernaum' IS the winner and deseves far better than some of the hack reviews I've read in the UK. This brilliant film needs to be seen and cries out to be heard. BUT I think we all know the predictable awards hungry darling 'Roma' will win. I mean, its been nominated in two 'best film' categories, if this isn't a set up, I don't know what is. Saying this, I really hope I'm wrong and Capernaum takes its' award.

Finally, and I'm by far not alone on this, I'm fed up with the lack of female talent being recognised, across the board. It's ridiculous that in the entire history of the Oscars, only 5 women have been nominated for best director and 1 (!!!!!) for cinematography. There has been and continues to be an out cry across the internet asking why so many great films were ignored. A favourite film of mine, 'You Were Never Really Here' directed by Lynne Ramsay and starring one of the greatest actors (calling it) of this generation, Joaquin Phoenix, literally got no recognition at all. The BAFTAs took note and lumped it into the Best British Film but nothing else really. There have been brilliant films made by women in the past year so much so that a list of alternative nominations was created. I agree with almost all of them, except Madeline's Madeline, that film was not great. A mess really. That aside, HERE is the list so you can decide for yourselves if the alternative universe where women's work is appreciated like men's.

I'll pick up on the winners and highlights of the ceremonies but otherwise, you won't find me glued to a screen next month.