Thursday 3 January 2019

Thursday Movie Picks: Place in Title



Austraila
Go big and go home, in the nicest possible way, that what Baz Lurhmann did with his 'sweeping epic' about love, war, death, predjudice and cattle driving all set down under, starring two of the biggest stars, who are also Austrailan to boot. The story seemed to be about English settler, Nicole Kidman and strong silent man, not even given a name, called Drover, but its all about a young boy and the world seen through his eyes. Its not great, tad too long but its not bad either. 

Notting Hill
For a Londoner, upon reflection, its odd to name a film after an area of London town. To me its that's really annoying place to get to but has some cool little cafes, to my friend, who loves it there, its where she works. She's the one who takes me to said cool places. But for millions of people, its that soppy Brit-Rom-Com where a really famous actress gets together with a travel book shop owner and also where Rhys Ifans was first afflicted upon us all. I don't think I've seen a film or TV show where's hes spoke in his own Welsh accent again. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

In Bruges

The tourist trade for this Belgian city shot up after Martin McDonagh's hitman comedy came out. I knew so many people who went to Bruges and claimed it wasn't because of the film. Ain't fooling me. My sister and I went to Brussels but weren't able to go to Bruges, one day I'll go. A comedy about a two hitmen after one goes through a breakdown is so brilliantly written, cast and made, its a film that stands apart from other comedies, plus I really love hitmen stories.

Don't forget to check out where it all started over at
Wandering Through the Shelves