Wednesday 12 December 2018

Blind Spot: The Bodyguard



Some would say that this might not be up there with the classics of old but where the 90s are concerned, there are many classics.

All I knew about 'The Bodyguard' was that Whitney Houston sang in it and 90s powerhouse Kevin Costner was the title role, plus there was the very famous cover of 'I Will Always Love You' sang by Whitney but in fact was a Dolly Parton song. I only found out this year that that song was from 'The Best Little Whore House in Texas'. I'm so glad I saw that musical first, make me look at 'The Bodyguard' in a whole different way.

A romantic thriller about a famous singer and actress who is forced to hire a bodyguard, the best that money can buy, after a series of attacks written and physical occur in the lead up to the Oscars. The thrill of the chase is who the stalker or attacker is and will he get what he wants, but of course the romance has to have a fair share of screen time. At first they fight, she'd difficult, he's strong and silent-ish but they fall in love anyway because, that the movies man. This may sound like I'm being cynical but I actually enjoyed this story. Predictable, yes, thrilling, of course, very silly in places, definitely.


Even though there are issues with the nearly everything, I can forgive this as not only was a really late to the Whitney sings 'I Will Always Love You' to the Prince of Thieves himself, Costner, but it's also because its an easy watch which is exactly what you want it to be. Although I really thought it was the chauffeur who was the stalker, that guy was creepy at the start. 

Films about films or actresses playing actresses is always fascinating to watch. It feels like you're behind the scenes of what you're watching. A story behind the story is always the one I'm more interested in. This is also the nature of thrillers. The romance part of the story is there to build characters and for the audience to indulge in. The music is fantastic, even that strange number Whitney sings at the club where the fans literally rip her clothes off, and its also Whitney herself in her prime. Having seen a few documentaries about her, her story and life are fresh in my mind. 


One things that struck me was the relationship between the sisters. On the surface, they're fine but really, the non famous one really hates her sister, life, fame and all that inbetween. There are a few stories of sisters supporting each other reluctantly and secretly hating each other. This bothers me more than, in the eyes of the film, a side story should. 

It's interesting to learn that this could have have been a 70s film with Ryan O'Neal or Steve McQueen and Diana Ross, I would have liked to see that film. Then we could have had a whole 'A Star is Born' thing going. Just how 'The Bodyguard' ends, I will end this post, oddly and abruptly.


  To find out how it all started, head over to The Matinee and to see what's happening now, check out Returning Videotapes who is the new host of the Blind Spot Series.




(Apologies for the lack or originality with my banners - having a 'my computer broke down and lost all my software issue)