Thursday, 22 December 2016

Thursday Movie Picks: Parties


Parties. Parties. Parties. There hasn't been many. There were mini parties, Halloween and Christmas ones at the office. But this year has seen a lack of parties and only a few big nights out. I'm hoping the new year will bring lots more parties to enjoy.

Don't forget to check out where it all started over at Wandering Through the Shelves.

Sisters
Tina Fey and Amy Poehler play sisters who find out their parents are selling their childhood home so decide to have one last party. But of course they aren't teenagers anymore, they are in nearer 40, as are all their friends. It's hilarious and fun, hitting in on nostalgia and realising that you can't do some of the crazy stuff you did when you were younger. I'm not 40 but as I get older I understand this film beyond my love for Tina and Amy. It went head to head with Star Wars last year (good for them) and they didn't come out on top of the box office but the Ellis Sisters throw one hell of a party.

Can't Hardly Wait
Highschool seniors throw a big party at the end of the year and it is crammed full of stereotypes. Set almost entirely at a party where several stories and characters intertwine. Its over the top and very typpical of its time, late 90s but it does have quite few now famous people in it.

200 Cigarettes 
Before cross section ensemble comedy dramas were over done and rubbish, there was 200 Cigarettes. The titke refers to the total amount smoked in the film. With a cast including the Affleck brothers to Courtney Cox to Dave Chappelle to a cameo from Elvis Costello, this is the best of the late 90s casting right here. The party is hosted by Martha Plimpton who spends the whole film wondering why no one has showed yet. It is pointed out to her that people won't turn up until late, which they do and she misses it. Her guests enjoy some crazy times before arriving that all befitting the NYE anticlimax. Last year to signify New Years Eve, I wrote a little longer post HERE.

10 comments:

  1. I'd like to see 200 Cigarettes, that sounds interesting. I loved Can't Hardy Wait when I was younger, but I never saw Sisters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw Sisters is great fun! Plus, its Amy and Tina being awesome.

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed Can't Hardly Wait, I was expecting just another teen comedy and while it was that it was a bit more insightful than the norm.

    I wasn't crazy for 200 Cigarettes it seemed to try too hard to be edgy. Haven't seen Sisters.

    I did a small theme within the theme for the week plus an extra to call up a little summer fun.

    The Wild Party (1975)-On the skids Hollywood silent comic star Jolly Grimm (James Coco) is hoping that an elaborate party he’s throwing with the aid of his mistress (Raquel Welch), capped by the showing of his new film, will reignite his career. The party starts well but quickly spirals out of control ending in tragedy. This was loosely based on the notorious Fatty Arbuckle case. Welch and Coco are both excellent.

    The Wild Party (1956)-The wild party of the title is a kidnapping by a group of losers that becomes the ultimate bad night. “Kicks” Johnson, a hepcat ivory tickler (Nehemiah Persoff) who needs cash cause being broke for a living, “just ain’t cool for a jazzman”, Tom Kupfen, a former pro-football player (Anthony Quinn) reduced to rolling drunks for a few bucks, the trampy Honey (Kathryn Grant) Tom’s last hanger-on from his glory days- in need of cash to pay the rent who says of herself "I have 40,000 miles on me" plus a knife happy, small time con-man, Gage Freeposter (Jay Robinson) on the run from Johnny Law go looking for a score. Freeposter cruises an upscale jazz club “The Fat Man” where the “real cats swing” in search of a mark or two. They find a rich couple (Carol Omart and Arthur Franz) and entice them to an abandoned amusement park where things quickly go wrong. Loaded with 50’s hipster lingo and a primo jazz score.

    The Wild Party (1929)-A group of young women at a girls college are more interested in attending wild parties than studying for their classes. After being kicked out of one such party one of the girls, Stella Ames (Clara Bow), gets into a bad situation in a bar where one of her professors James Gilmore (Fredric March) has to save her. Gossip about the two spreads and Stella has to act fast to save both their reputations. Bow is at her “It Girl” best.

    Summer Throwback Bonus-Beach Party (1963)-It’s the original gathering of Frankie Avalon, Annette Funicello, Deadhead, Eric Von Zipper and the whole beach party gang! This one has a bit more story than usual with anthropology professor Robert Orwell Sutwell (Robert Cummings) and his secretary Marianne (Dorothy Malone) studying the sex habits of teenagers. Not that they’re having any real sex just singing and dancing to Dick Dale and the Del Tones and surfing of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 200 Cigarettes almost feels like its taking the mick of those type of films even before they were produced too often.

      The first and third Wild Party films sounds good! But I haven't heard of any of them.

      Delete
  3. I haven't seen any of these. I love Tina Fey and Amy Poehler though, I should probably check out Sisters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't Hardly Wait is everywhere today. Guess I have to actually see it. I did see Sisters. Didn't work for me, at all, but it does fit the topic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it might be - its set at a party plus its release suggests we all saw it when we were younger :)

      Delete
    2. Haha yes...it's a nostalgic pick for a lot of us.

      Delete
  5. I haven't seen any of these but since I have passed my 40's( Egad!) this sounds like a movie I can relate to. I had some very interesting parties in my day but now I'm tired by 10pm:)

    ReplyDelete