Thursday, 20 October 2016

Thursday Movie Picks: Halloween Edition - Science Fiction Horror

Science fiction horror can be more distressing more me than your regular horror. Plenty of of gore, isolation and messing with things that should not be messed with. Science horror, in a way is still possible but luckily the films I picked are beyond any thought of becoming real. I hope.

 Don't forget to check out what Wandering Through the Shelves picked, the blog that started Thursday Movie Picks.

Event Horizon
I actually don't remember much from this film except being terrified, oh and Sam Neil was there too. It had an interesting, typical 90s cast but it was also a box office bomb. All I remember is that there is a crew that are sent to find another ship and they find everyone dead then they all die in horrible way, mostly because of Sam Neil. I live in fear of having to see this film again.

The Cabin in the Woods
It took me a while to work up to seeing this film. I do like Joss Weadon but horror is not my thing. My friends convinced me to see it ensuring that I won't be scared as you know its not real (if you've seen it you know what I mean). This is true but its still scary as there are other people in control and that's always terrifying. If it wasn't for Fran Kranz I wouldn't have seen this.

Splice 
Another odd choice from me. I think this was TV and I was on my own (never a good idea) and it was at night. The idea about a scientist couple creating a human hybrid and using dangerous animals to create it, sure that sounds like a swell idea. I think there are a couple of disgusting moments, particularly when Adrian Brody has weird sex with the creature as she has matured and then when the creature changes sex and rapes Sarah Polley. She later finds out shes pregnant and keeps the baby, for science reasons. So disgusting.

11 comments:

  1. I likewise am not a horror fan so I'm a bit surprised I've seen even one of these but I have seen Event Horizon. I saw it in the theatre, the poster was completely misleading as to the actual story, and though it started well by the end it had lost its way and was both bad and dull. Not a good combination.

    The other two are good fits but I'll never see them.

    I really had to scrounge around for three this week, I watch my first and third picks just to have enough. In the case of the last it wasn't worth it!

    Hollow Man (2000)-Scientist Sebastian Caine (Kevin Bacon) and his team (including Elisabeth Shue and Josh Brolin) invent a serum that produces invisibility. They test it on Caine and he vanishes but something goes wrong and they can’t rematerialize him. As the team struggles to reverse the process Caine’s grip on reality begins to slip away.

    The Fly (1986)-Scientist Seth Brundle (Jeff Goldblum) invents a teleportation device, then decides to test it on himself. What he doesn’t realize is a housefly is in the device during the process, causing a comingling of man and insect. As the fly's cells begin to take over his body and he becomes increasingly fly-like his girlfriend (Geena Davis) must stand by helpless in horrified disbelief as he deteriorates into a monster. What separates this from the norm is the perfect casting of Jeff Goldblum in the lead, his gawky angularity suggesting a fly-like physique even before he begins to transform. He and Geena Davis share a great chemistry, no surprise they were briefly married after this film. Directed by David Cronenberg.

    Monster A Go-Go (1965)-Astronaut Frank Douglas (Henry Hite) and his rocket disappear on their way back to earth and the next thing you know there’s a series of murders happening where the victim’s blood is turned to powder. Could they be related and who is the enormous rotting man roaming the countryside while people toil and look at papers in what appears to be a high school science lab? Nonsensical story atrociously acted with production values not even worthy of a grade school project, see if you can keep count of how many times the camera wobbles, it happens in almost every scene. One of the worst movies ever made this is inept in EVERY way, the best thing about it is its title.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would agree not to bother with my picks. But I do like/ok with Cabin in the Woods.

      Monster Gogo? Excellent name!! Story sounds....great.

      I can't ever watch The Fly as I know I'll be too disturbed. But The Hollow Man I did want to see and I can't remember why. It's twist on The Invisible Man?

      Delete
  2. Yes! Cabin in the Woods, I love that movie. Splice was so fucking weird. I remember thinking "I'm glad Adrian Brody is putting that Oscar to good use." lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahah Yeh it does seem like he's gone or going down an odd path.

      Delete
  3. Wow. Splice sounds strange....

    I've seen your first two picks, I liked Event Horizon ending the final act...it got kinda silly.

    Also, your link on the Thursday Movie Picks site leads to the wrong article.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. But bear in mind I'm summarising.

      Ah! Thanks for telling me about the link. I'll sort that.

      Delete
  4. I have not seen any of these because I am a Chicken. I heard the same thing about Cabin In The Woods but still scared to see it. I know I will pass on the alien child by rape movie. By the way...you connection on Wandering leads one to the beginning of September picks:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. I'm a fraidy cat too. CITW is something I can watch again but I'm still wary of the ending. The creepy thing about Splice is that it isn't an alien it's animal and human DNA which makes it worse!

      Delete
  5. Cabin in the Woods is amazing. Lov that film. Event Horizon isn't great, but does have some great moments. As for Splice... Sigh. The sex scenes were bizarre, to say the least. As for the movie as a whole, I liked it better when it was called Species.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everyone dies... Event Horizon sounds fun to watch. And I really can't believe I still haven't seen The Cabin in the Woods.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh, Event Horizon. I haven't seen it yet, but my mom and sister always make references when we're watching space/sci-fi movies. A lot of movies have used lingo and iconic scenes from it, or been inspired by at least. I'm too terrified to see it from how my family described it. :P

    ReplyDelete