Saturday 31 August 2019

Watch List: July/August


This Summer has been an odd one. Usually filled with films galore but due to a job move that was located away from the centre of the city meant I missed out on quite a few big and small films that I would have pushed myself to see, most notably, Spider-Man: Far From Home, Transit and Hail Satan? although I'm still hoping to catch that one. But in a switch, I have been lucky to watch a couple of films I wouldn't have necessarily have got to see. But now that LFF is gearing up, I will hopefully get back in the swing of things and back to the cinema. Apart from EIFF and Cinema Rediscovered these are the films I've got to see over the Summer:

Toy Story 4
 With the epic and I will say it, iconic Toy Story 3 to follow, this latest from Pixar, going back to where it all began, in Andy's room, seems like a very odd choice. The Toy Story shorts have been really fun and amusing BUT a feature wasn't really warrented. There were a few loose ends to tie up but those could have been explained away in a short to be honest, but instead, we get a feature long epilogue of a journey we all staryed in 1995. As someone who 'there from the start' I've literally grown up with Toy Story which is why the third film hit home the hardest, this was more of a chance to give the toy's themselves closure on their story, in particular, Woody. Feeling out of place, not being played with much anymore, Woody tries to do his duty another way, by protecting a toy Bonnie literally made out of junk. Bringing in a story about the philosophy of existance feels a little late in the game but Forky is superb and actually makes sense within the whole Toy Story world. Its by far not the best, but with great gags, great central plot and we get to see how menaning a couple of fairground stuffed toys can be, proving not all toys are pure of thought (and its hilarious), its classic Pixar making the right choice to close this chapter for good. 4/5

The Lion King
Another month, another Disney remake that NO ONE asked for. These are meant to be live action but The Lion King is not. Kudos to the animators BUT this was nearly exactly the same as the original except none of the animals had any expressions. That goodness for the voice actors who inject a little bit of pizazz into the story, mostly Billy Eichner as Timon and Seth Rogan as Pumba. But on the whole, not great but I'm also not surprised. 2/5

Love and Bananas
An amazing documentary that a friend and fellow writer asked me to review and I'm so glad I said yes. Full review is HERE. 4/5

Pain & Glory
Pedro Almodovar is back and he's back not with a vengence or comedy or thriller but a story very close to his heart, or at least it feels that way. Full review is over at Vulturehound HERE. 4/5

Bel Canto
An overlooked thriller adaptation of the best selling novel of the same name, deserved better. My full review is over at Vulturehound HERE. 3/5

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
This film was met with an outcry of disgust at the festivals as well as the upmost praise. This means, Tarrantino hasn't changed. As the director that every film student claims is their favourite director, Tarrantino not has the most brand sounding name, he creates spectacles. Wanting to know why everyone loved or hated it, I was curious but proceeded with caution as I knew thw Manson family would feature and that Sharon Tate was in it. However by the end of the film came, myself and the rest of the audience (I could feel it) all held out breath for the horrible tasteless moment on screen but it never happened. Intead we were entertained with a very funny scene, but that's all I'll say. Following around Rick Dalton, once a famous TV star, as he acts in the odd TV episode for other shows after making a few films, he's always accompanied by his stunt double/best friend/personal assistant, Cliff Booth. Alongside this homage to old cinema and the end of the 60s, Tarrantino teases us with Sharon Tate and what shes' getting up to. With so many ways to read into this maze of a film, I'll spare you the long version, this feels a bit over indulgent and too long over all but these qualms aside, the film is epic and my gad DiCaprio is brilliant in this film. Funny when needed in places and that ending is a what makes this a fantasty, a dream that Tarrantino had a created. We were also NOT subjected to a Tarrantino cameo so there's another plus. But I could have done without the dirty hippy girl's dirty feet on the widescreen. 4/5