Thursday 30 May 2019

Watch List: April/May


The Missing Link
I love Laika Studios because their films are not just beautifully made, they are intricate and the details are amazing, but they're stories are heart warming as well breaking. They are afraid to end on a sad tone or realisation, they make realistic stories that children can enjoy and pick up on their messages, for everyone else, they get to enjoy the wonder. When explorer Sir Lionel Frost recieves a mysterious letter about a Sasquatch he comes face to face with the real deal who is actually a big fan of his work. The two go on a journey to the other side of the world so that Susan (that's the Sasquatch's name he gave himself) to meet his cousins, the yeti. But things don't always turn out how you imagine. 4/5

Eighth Grade
I think this is looking like my favourite film of the year (not seen Booksmart yet though). I wrote all about how much I loved this film and everything its about HERE.  5/5

Hellboy
My best mate made me watch this. Or rather, I was enjoying cocktails while we laughed/felt sick throughout the film. So much gore, so much pointless gore. When Merlin showed up in a cave, that's when I mentally checked out of the film. 1/5

Guardians
Superheroes, the Russian way. More info soon.

Avengers: Endgame
In all honesty, not quite the 'end of an era' film I thought it would be. I had no idea they were going to use time travel, or a rather a time heist to 'fix' everything. But they ended two character's stories well, Black Widow deserved much better, Thor is not done yet and how the hell are they are going to solve the time travel **** ups with Guardians of the Galaxy because their time line is all over the place?! More on this HERE 3/5

High Life
So much has been said about Claire Denis' science fiction slightly horror toned drama where Robert Pattinson looks after a baby, at least that's putting it lightly. Death row inmates are given the chance to serve science by journeying into space to extract energy from a black hole. Aboard this particular ship is Dr Dibs, who is obsessed with making babies. She collectes sperm from the willing male inmates and tries to impregnate the female inmates. There is also the terrifyingly shot 'fuck box' which the crew uses to masturbate, all except Monte, nicknamed, the monk. Existence on the ship shifts from sedative induced nights to bleak days, some of the crew finds solace in the ship's garden, others stare into the vast space around them. The mystery unfolds of how Monte comes to be the only crew member left, plus a baby to care for but the true myteries are left unanswered. Such as why were they sent there, what crimes brought them to the ship (only two inmates' backgrounds are revealed) and are there more ships apart from the one with stray dogs? It's a science fiction peice of art that you can dwell on for days. Horror, is other people and the feeling that you're not in control seeps into the cracks of the ship and story and never really leaves you, as well as that damn 'fuck box'. 4/5

Detective Pikachu
I was never really into Pokemon, I had a couple of the cards (which I found in the school car park) and the show never really caught my attention long enough for me to feel invested BUT the fact that Ryan Reynolds voice was coming out of an adorable Pikachu and actually was very funny, the trailer had me at 'that's very twisty'. As someone who knows nothing about the Pokemon world I felt invested in the characters, mostly because the pokemon are either cute or ridiculous (the duck who's head explodes - loved him) and the story of a missing father and conspiracy, even though it was predictable, I still enjoyed it. 3/5

Rocketman
Its about how Reg Dwight became Elton John, with music and musical numbers thrown in. My review is over on Vulturehound HERE. 4/5

Someone Great
Film about friends and growing up are usually a safe space where you can sit back and relate to the characters, enjoy the hijinx and think about your own life, at least thats some of the thoughts going through my head with this type of film. I love the main cast, they all have their issues going on, they have great chemistry and there are geniune funny moments BUT the fact they are all meant to be 'almost 30' was something that bothered me. Maybe because I'm almost 30 and do not have everything together. My own insecurites coming out here. I was saving this film for another day and maybe I watched it in the wrong head space, after I had recieved terrible and sad news or that something had ended the day before and I was just accepting it but, all these things aside, the film was ok but it was more about the end of a nine year relationship than about friends. 3/5

The Tribe
When a horrible corporate HR director fires 300 people, THEN gets caught cheating when he gets stuck inside a woman, only to be dragged out in front of the whole office and phone cameras, he loses his job, his wife and when he goes to meet with his biological mother, his memory too when he gets hit by a bus, Fidel is not having a great time. His mother takes him in, taking care of him even after she finds out who he is. She intriduces him to her dance class and as they say, that's that. Turns out he's a great dancer and makes an impression on the class as well as the teacher. Very funny at time, at others truely bizarre but the dancing is fun. 3/5