Thursday 14 June 2018

Thursday Movie Picks: Legend/Mythology



The Sword in the Stones
There have been many versions of the legend of King Arthur and his knights of the round table. MY favourites include the British TV show that felt like Monty Python for kids, Sir Gadabout, which my sister and I loved (still no DVD release which is insane) and the last few volumes of the comic Fables, reimagining Rose Red as Arthur and Snow White as Morgana (its a tad twisted). BUT Disney's animated fantastical and literally magical story of Arthur, known as Wart, before he was king. His lessons with Merlin are amazing and terrifying at the same time, being turned into a bird, fish and squirrel and caught in a wizards duel with Mad Madame Mim. From the moment the music that gives you good chills begins to final scene where Merlin comes back from Bermuda, its entertaining and fun way to think things went down in London town. I still sorta tear up when he pulls the sword from the stone. Beautiful moment.

Robin Hood
Just like Arthur there have been countless interpretations of Robin Hood. This is one of my favourite Disney films for many reasons, one being Robin and Marian are portrayed as foxes! But also Peter Ustinov as King John and Terry Thomas as his royal side-kick, two legends themselves, are pitch perfect. With animals stepping in as characters in the legend, proportians aside, this is almost a precurser to the more recent Zootropolis. Moving on, the film is often underrated but there's wit, humour, actual danger and one the greatest chase scenes ever. Oo-delally!

Hercules
I didn't watch Hercules until I was in my twenties. Yes, I know. How could I have left it THAT long. Well, I wasn't keen on the animation when I was younger, but with age, you grew to appreciate the amazing film. The music, jokes, a bit of mythology info and Hades (perfect casting James Woods). I went to a sing-a-long a few months back and it made me love the film even more.


Don't forget to check out where it all started over at
Wandering Through the Shelves