Wednesday 20 June 2018

Remember that show... Teachers

 
Back in the early 2000s, there was comedy drama that I was really obsessed with for an encapsulated amount of time. As one who really hated school (pre-college/Uni), it may have been odd that I loved a show called ‘Teachers’.

I had missed the first series and caught the back end of the second and rewatched taped episodes of the third. I had been very very excited for the fourth only to be extremely disappointed by the departure of my two favourite characters and the merger of the school where the show is set with another school with three new teachers, meant to replace the missing originals but never could achieve this.

Centred around a group of secondary school teachers in Bristol, the show boasted the best of early 2000s TV talent, most of which I saw once or twice in  random bit roles. It seems that Andrew Lincoln seemed to have made it out of Summerdown Comprehensive to become a ‘name’ across the pond and Shaun Evans who was in series 2 got a starrinf part as Detective Morse in 'Endeavour', but that second might be just for the UK fans. I think that is part of the charm of the show, no big names, just actors you remember and see from time to time.


Teachers came and went throughout the 4 series, some with a very obvious reason, others with none. What set the show apart from others of the era, was the humour, dark, depressing was very funny. The show also took a somewhat surreal take on how schools run and I have to say, watching this show while at school, I could relate. The main reason for me watching the show was my love for on screen best friends Brian and Kurt. A loveable actually quite decent guy and an arsehole who couldn’t face up to his issues. Loved them to bits. Adrian Bower and Navin Chowdhry didn’t return for the fourth series. I was so devastated I almost gave up on the show, but I stuck around to watch Matthew Horne (pre Gavin and Stacy) as an RE teacher who was going through a crisis.

The show was nominated for BAFTAs and at the British Comedy awards, it even spawned an American remake in 2006 which survived 6 episodes and was cancelled. This is probably due to the show being, dare I say it, a British show that wouldn’t translate well over the pond.


Running from 2001-2004, the show wasn’t renewed for a fifth series due to the negative or lack of response to the fourth series. It’s annoying as the third ended on a high and had an open ending. I like to think it ended there.

Just before I end it there, I found this post about the cast and 'where they are now' which, to new viewers might like to see HERE