Thursday 8 March 2018

Thursday Movie Picks: Just One Day


The Breakfast Club
I'm actually not a huge fan of this John Hughes treasured film. Shock! Horror! I like his other films, even though this is one of the most loved, paradied, talked about, written about etc. Five teenagers are forced to attend Saturday detention, each symbolies a highschool stereotype (which is listed right at the end), "But what we found out is that each one of us is a brain, and an athlete, and a basket case, a princess, and a criminal." They all argue, bond, share emotions and have an awkward dance montage throughout the day, while the Assistant Principal appears every now and then to check up on them. Its a great title and the poster is iconic, but for me, it just ok. Maybe I need to watch this again. 

Empire Records
Moving into the 90s (more my style), the staff (mainly teenagers and students) of an indie record store get ready for 'Rex Manning Day', where a rather washed up singer is signing his latest record. They all have their own issues to deal with, as well as trying to save the store from being taken over a chain. Featuring some of the finest young actors of the 90s before they became veeeery big stars of the small screen and big. I love this film which is odd as I'm not a huge music fan. I'm also a huge fan of High Fidelity. There's something about a record store set films I guess. The store itself is superb! Its a production designers dream. Also, as it only has one setting, this would have been the prime film to be turned into a musical right?

Superbad
Ending on the mid 2000s with a film I used to really love but have now started to really hate as I get older. The film that launched Emma Stone, Jonah Hill and Christopher Mintz-Plasse careers and just, well gave Michael Cera a boost to, well, moving on. Three outcast friends try to change their lives before college by saying they would supply alcohol for a party. The night gets slightly out of control and things don't go the way they planned. There are some great scenes, mostly including the two useless cops that befriend McLovin'. Also the whole McLovin' thing. But there are also so many 'dick' jokes that I just don't find funny.


Don't forget to check out where it all started over at
Wandering Through the Shelves