Sunday 4 March 2018

She Makes Movies


It's high time I showed a little more appreciation for the women behind behind the camera. With the Oscars just a few days away, I wanted to shine a light on Greta Gerwig.

As I was trying finish my watch list, I tried to write a short paragraph conveying my love for Gerwig's Lady Bird and I found I had a bit more than a few words to say.

As part of the Mumblecore film movement, she appeared in several films and co-wrote Hannah Takes the Stairs and Nights and Weekends, in which she also co-directed as well. Gerwig has been critized for 'playing the same role' in the past but after a few mainstream film roles in Greenberg, Arthur and No Strings Attached, she started to take on more interesting characters.


For me, Frances Ha was a turning point. A dancer trying to get by after her best friend moves in with her boyfriend. Each chapter of the film explores her state of mind mirrored in where she is living at that point in time. Anyone in their 20s trying to figure out what they are doing with their life can understand and relate to the film. I admired the bizarre 'Damsels in Distress' about a clique at a college who run the suicide prevention centre, using the medium of dance to help people. For all its flaws, Lola Versus was even a stand out character for Gerwig. A step up from the mumblecore films but still embedded in that universe. Mistress America, my favourite film of 2015, was further proof, for me, that Gerwig was no a one trick pony. Sharing writing duties with partner Baumbach again after Frances Ha. Centered around two women who are about to become step sisters who meet in New York when one of them starts college there.

When you think of Gerwig, you think of two things, struggling artist and New York. These are two things others would associate with Woody Allen BUT if justice is served (hurry up justice), this will no longer be the case. It was strange to find out Gerwig hails from the Sacremento when her heart seems to be in New York. This is obvious is her directorial debut, Lady Bird, which is semi-autobiographical and effortlessly peiced together.


For Gerwig to win the Best Director award at the Oscars would be phenomenal, especially as she is only the fifth woman EVER to be nominated for this award. But my personal feelings on the film politics of Hollywood and awards are that they don't need it, but sometimes it matters. She is my favourite to win because not only would this be a triumphant win for women in film, I also believe she deserves it for writing and directing a perfectly formed film.

Good luck Greta!

@LadyBirdMovie