Thursday 16 November 2017

Thursday Movie Picks: Adaptations You Want to See/Female Characters


I missed last week's theme and I had some picks I'd like to share so this week its double whammy!

Death and the Penguin by Andrey Kurkov
I have Déjà vu about this theme as I recall picking this book as something I'd like to see on the big screen or small screen even...strange. Anyway, a story about a struggling writer who has a depressed pet penguin and is hired to write obituaries of famous people who mysteriously start dying is an odd, sometimes unnerving but delightful. Its a murder mystery ganger spy friendship drama that takes place in Ukraine post-Soviet society. I think this would make a great film or TV series as there is a sequel.

Fables by Bill Willingham / Mark Buckingham 
One of the best things I have ever read, the Fables universe could rival Marvel and DC put together its so intricate. Spanning the old world and the new populated with fairytale, folklore and sometimes characters from literature from all over the world, the possibilities are literally endless. The first book or collection of issues focuses on a community in exile, hiding in plain sight in New York city having been driven from their Homelands. As this is such a intricate universe that has spawned 22 collected volumes, three spin offs, 4 stand alone graphic novels, a video game, a novel and an art book as well as its own encyclopedia, this comic would be best suited to a TV series as there is way too much to include in a movie or too and anyway, a movie would not do it justice. I know way back when the powers that be wanted to make a TV show with ABC then there were rumours not long ago about a film. I hope the film is scrapped and TV back on the table, especially with all the success of other comic to TV adaptations.

Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve
 My wish is coming true for this one. Last time I checked the project was in development hell but Peter Jackson saves the day! Principle photography has already begun on the film so hopefully next year I'll be writing about it rather than dreaming. I read this in two days (not the sequels) I was hooked. Set in a barren wasteland, aka Earth, years after 'the 60 minute war' where North America was pratically destroyed, technology hasn't been able to evolve. Cities are mobile, built with engines to roam the land devouring smaller cities. Set in London, a conspiracy is uncovered after one of the leaders is almost assassinated. The story definitely has cinematic scope and would be marvelous on the big screen. Decent looking cast and Jackson at the helm I have faith it will be worth watching.

-----------------

I don't like the term 'strong female character' as I find it diminshes female characters. I've gone rogue and picked a bunch of characters I believe are well written, excellently performed and all round are inspiring.

Wonder Woman (of course)

Princess Leia Organa (aka rebel!)


Imperator Furiosa

Agent Peggy Carter

Lisbeth Salander


Mulan


Paikea Apirana (aka the Whale rider)


Margo Channing


Heather Mooney


Don't forget to check out where it all started over at
Wandering Through the Shelves