Friday 29 September 2017

Let's talk Annihilation


I don't usually post about trailer releases BUT this particular one had my attention. Annihilation is the latest science fiction tinted film with Natalie Portman starring. Alex Garland, writer and director of Ex-Machina (a film I disliked because of the disappointing ending) is once again writing and director this adaptation of the novel by Jeff VanderMeer.

Annihilation is the first part of The Southern Reach trilogy, a science fiction story edged in conspiracy. The story is about an expedition into the strange Area X, an area of land that has mysteriously been cut off from the mainland/area. The group that makes its way across the border to investigate is not the first. All previous expeditions have ended in various unfortunate and unexplained sometimes violent ways. Annihilation is narrated by a member of the 12th expedition, known as the Biologist whose husband was on the previous expedition and returned changed.


I won't go any further into detail as the book is brilliant and needs to be read, especially as the film (as always) seems to taking some liberties.

The film sees the Biologist, who is given a name, even though, one of the great things about the book is that all the characters aren't named but are called by their profession. There is also 4 people on the expedition but there seems to be 5 people treking through Area X... I'm already thinking something isn't right. The scenes where Natalie Portman, playing the Biologist, is in a room being talked to by people in hasmat suits is actually from the second book in the trilogy and again, this seems a shame to merge bits together, but I could be here all day.


The positives to take away from the trailer is that it look incredible, the barrier is amazing into Area X and the cast look great. I'm really excited to see Jennifer Jason Leigh, Gina Rodriquez, Tessa Thompson and especially Tuva Novotny (she's from Crimes of Passion) on screen. And I always happy to see Oscar Issac. All excellent casting choices.


I am skeptical as this book was something so brilliantly intricate that I couldn't see it as a film and more importantly it didn't need to be a film, but at the same time I'd like to see what Garland does as I like his previous writing just not his first film.

If you haven't seen the trailer - take a look HERE.

@AnnihilationMov