Tuesday 23 April 2019

The Poster


As its been a really rather packed and busy Bank Holiday Easter weekend, I haven't had a lot of time to sit and write. However, this particualr post has been brewing in my mind for quite some time.

When you haven't moved around ior lived in many places, your personal space and how you choose to decorate or fill that space rarelt changes. I've lived in four different places and two towns. The first house, I don't remember, we moved when I was three. The second house, due to economic reasons is where I currently am. The other two were during university, both walls of which I quite quickly plastered with photos, posters and artwork so that they'd feel like home. But I didn't have anything up on my walls until I was well into my teens. When I moved into my current room, I immedately covered the walls, my way of expressing my freedom and being finally able to put up posters.

The Darjeeling Limited was released during my first year at college and already being a fan of Wes Anderson I was thrilled to find a large poster of the film free in a magazine. This poster has been with me for the last 13 years. It's been above my desk while I was home, I took it to Uni with me and in order for me to take it with me to my next home (whenever that will be, economic situation still standing) I decided this weekend to take it down off the wall. It was time. Especially as it had been there for years.

This signifys the end of an era and my poster habits. I also have a large collarge of postcards, collected from over the years that I put on mu cupboards, but part of me thinks its time for it all to come down so that all I will have are my framed prints. I do not think for one moment that posters are childish BUT stepping up to framed art I admire is a step in the 'growing up' direction.

For now, TDL postser, cellotaped in places and with a bit of white tac still in the corners, its foldered and stowed safely away until it once again be up on my wall, but hopefully framed this time.