Thursday 14 March 2019

Thursday Movie Picks: Movies You Thought You'd Hate But Ended Up Enjoying


Grease 2
I love Grease but never understood why they made a sequel. It was not needed. But then, after hearing a couple of friends go on and on about it, even going to the special screenings of it and knowing all the words to the songs, I saw it. Now I am obsessed with 'Cool Rider' sung by Michelle Pfeiffer. Every now and then I catch myself singing 're-pro-duction! REPRODUCTION!' I'm hooked now. If you're unsure what this probably cult classic is about, its basically the first Grease except the other way around but with a weird twist not twist near the end and with Liza Minnelli's half sister. Sandy's cousin Michael (a young hot Rex Manning, well Maxwell Caulfield) from England arrives at Rydell High and falls for Pink Lady Stephanie but she wants a hot guy on a motorcycle. Throw in music, cheesy music and some 50s-ish stuff you got a hit!

Gremlins 2: The New Batch
Truth is, I'm not a Gremlins fan. I fell asleep the first time I watched it and can't remember the second time.  BUT the sequel, my gad I love the sequel. Its ridiculous, its funny, its self deprecating and actually a tad scary at moments and better yet, it takes place in a self contained building in the city. With a host of supporting actors all having a great time or rather having a hellish day but great fun to watch. The gremlins themselves have even rebooted, creating hybrids and mutating even more as well as Greta, the female gremlin. I just love it, especailly the very well spoken gremlin in the suit.

To All the Boys I Loved Before
I'm not a rom-com kinda person BUT there are exceptions that break through my icy heart. But this is more a romantic teen drama than comedy. Teen movies are always about family, opposite gender and getting into college. This is more about the first two as our heroine is not a senior. She writes letters to crushes and never tells them, until, they letters get out and shes forced to confront her feelings and tell the truth. Its a simple set up and outcome and it won me over. Not just because I like the two leads, who are adorable together, but I like the story and how its structured, that's how my brain works. Not too sure about a sequel, but seeing as my first two picks are sequels, you never know.


Don't forget to check out where it all started over at
Wandering Through the Shelves