Thursday 28 February 2019

TMP Television Edition: Book to TV Adaptations


Three books, one I've read and loved, one I'm still reading and the other I wish I had read.


Tom Perrotta's novel is brilliant and when I heard there was a TV adaptation I was disappointed. Such a brilliant book should'nt break out beyond the cover. However I saw the first couple of episodes of the first season and thought differently. With a plot beginnning, same as the book, years after (I think) 2% of the world's population disappears and how everyone is coping with the aftermath. With a family at the center and the different paths they take actually works on screen. But I read the book, I didn't need to see it. However its season 2 and 3 I might watch as the story goes way beyond the last pages and even gives a reason for why it all happened, which Perrotta never does. I was ok with not knowing as it isn't really about that.


I wish I had read this book. I loved this intricate story that was more than a coming home/murder mystery. Its all about family and tryiny and failing to outrun the past. I wrote about how much I admired about the show HERE and I don't think I can add anymore to it, expect that I really hope there isn't a follow up. The story worked perfectly as a one off series. Don't ruin a good thing.


 I know the story and I know how relevent it is now more than ever, which is why I held off watching the show but when I was on my homeward journey back from New Zealand and was on my second flight, I watched the whole first season, 10 hours, glued to my little plane TV. I was shocked, appaulled and hooked, just as I thought. An excellent series, even if every second of it is bleak as hell. I knew it was going beyond the book and I had hoped this would lead to rebellion but things move slow in The Republic of Gilead. Season two brought new horrors but also more stories about other characters which I liked, not that I love June, but she loses it half way through and I did not enjoy that. I also really hated the cliffhanger, really hated it. But not long til season 3.


 

Don't forget to check out where it all started over at
Wandering Through the Shelves