Tuesday 8 May 2018

New Zealand: Prepare, Plan & Pack


I know this isn’t about film BUT there are film related parts to my adventures. Thought this may be useful for anyone heading out to New Zealand. Tips about places you may want to visit, how to travel and learning from my mistakes.

I came back from New Zeland a few days ago and I am still jetlagged and still feeling odd about being home. Before I left I had everyone acting like this was the be all and end all of all trips ever. I knew it wasn't but having everyone say this to me was getting exhausting. I knew I'd love it and make the most of it and I feel I did. The trip had two purposes; to see family and to have an epic time with my friend and travel buddy. We had been saving up for two years to be out othere and I had been wanting to visit for years, in fact ever since my family moved out there. My love of Lord of the Rings obviously spurred me on and as my friend is also obsessed with all things LOTR, we were in our element.

We were out there roughly 4 weeks and visited both islands (yes, it is possible), stayed in 9 cities/towns, booked 7 hostels, stayed in 1 Airbnb and stayed with my family in Tauranga. We took buses, domestic flights and also enjoyed being driven around by my uncle, aunt and cousin. It was a whirlwind, or at least it felt like a whirlwind. So many amazing places and there was still many more things to do.

Planning & Packing

For the experienced traveller or those who have already visited New Zealand, this may be something you've read before and if you're just interested in where I went, feel free to skip this part.

Packing Tips

-DO pick your bag carefully - Most will say, a gigantic backpack is needed for a trip like this WRONG. Where you are driving around NZ or if you are bussing it, a backpack doesn't have to be the bag to take. I would advise taking a bag or suitcase that you know you can handle and are able to carry or pull along whenever you need to. Dragging a bag up all the hills in NZ is far better than lugging a back breaking backpack. Of course, if you usually pack light you won't have this issue.

-DON'T use this bag - This bag was terrible. Just avoid this bag at all costs even if you are given it, don't use it, pick another bag. Worst bag in history, no joke.

-DO use Packing cubes - Cubes are very handy no matter what type of bag/suitcase you take. Everything in cubes means easy packing if you're travelling from place to place every other day.

-DO pack for all weathers - As the weather in NZ can be unpredictable, you will need to pack for all seasons, especially if you are travelling in their Spring and Autumn.

** DO buy a travel towel - Don't bring a normal towel, you will regret it. Travel towels dry quicker and are far lighter. Plus, most hostels/hotels will provide a towel.

-DON'T buy any toiletries out there - Sun cream, tooth paste, hairbrush, cosmetics, moisturiser, shaving gel etc, is super expensive in NZ, bring all that you need with you.

-DO bring a book with you - Books are pricey in NZ, not sure why. Most hostels have book share shelves, leave a book, take a book.

When it comes to planning a trip, wether you are going for 2 weeks or 2 months, having a plan so you know where you are and what you're doing is always helpful and useful for those at home wanting to know too.  There are benefits to just winging it when you get out there BUT some excursions need to be booked in advance so a plan even if its just a rough one, is always a good idea. Having a travel buddy who printed our the itineray was invaluable.

Planning Tips

-DO check hostel/hotel reviews - You might find the perfect place but reviews are invaluable. If you are staying one night, it might not matter how great the place is. If you're staying two night or more, make sure you are comfortable.

-DO plan as many excursions as you can once you have your travel dates set - Popular trips or activities get booked up really quick, so best to be ahead of the game.

-DO shop around for travel options - If you are driving, this won't apply. If, like my friend and I, you want to bus it around the islands, take time over booking buses as this may effect how long you can stay at certain places.

-DON'T use InterCity buses - I say don't use them, even though they were actually quite a good company until we reached the South Island. They buses leave early and don't wait for anyone. They try and make out that you are wrong when you are right. We were left stranded in Franz Josef (middle of actual nowhere) when our bus left early. The driver had said to be ready at 7:45 am as the bus leaves at 8am, well we were there but the bus left before 7:45. Arsehole. Luckily, a very kind and awesome tour bus driver agreed to give us a ride to Wanaka and my cousin came to our rescue and picked us up there and drove us to Queenstown. So, don't trust InterCity.

-DO take travel time into account - This is obvious but I'll say it anyway, travelling by bus means hours of your travel days are eaten up. If you're driving you can sight-see and stop whenever you want but being on the bus, you can only go where the bus takes you, bear this in mind. If a bus trip is too long, it might make sense to fly, usually cheaper and quicker. We had three domestic flights and it was worth it.

-DON'T worry if you are travelling alone - Again, if you are an experienced traveller, ignore this. While on the road and in hostels, there were lots of solo travellers, you'll be in good company. Most people are very friendly so no need to be shy.

-DO try to pack in as much as possible - No matter how long your trip is, there will always be so much more to do so pack in as much as you can, you won't regret it.

-DO check the exchange rate/charges - Check with your bank how much you will charged when you use your credit/debit card. I used a Travel Money Card from the Post Office so I wasn't charged by my bank unless I took money out. It's like a top up card so was easy to use, no fuss. No need to use my normal bank card at all.

Books I used for the trip:


NEXT: North Island - Tauranga to Wellington


** I ended up having to buy a travel towel in the middle of the trip and threw away the towel I brought with me.