Monday 26 February 2018

Beside Me The Whole Damn Time


As I'm writing this I can just see the followers on Twitter decreasing because yes, I'm writing about my favourite TV show duo (after Liz Lemon and Jack Donaghy and Tim & Daisy), FitzSimmons.

If you are not an avid fan of Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.LD then you might not enjoy this post. However, if you are intrigued by my obession then please do read on.

Last month Screen Rant posted up an article, written by John Orquiola, all about FitzSimmons and why they are the greatest story in the Marvel Comics Universe. My heart skipped a beat when I saw this. I'm so used to skulking off to tumblr to revel in the joys of the fandom which I know is wider than the thoughts, stories and countless epic gifs shared on various blogs but still think that Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D is the underdog of the MCU. Its bigger than I thought and the fact that more and more articles, videos and Twitter feeds galore are appearing about the show AND everyone's favourites scienists just brings me so much joy. Seeing articles dedicated to FitzSimmons and praising the fantastic actors who portray them, Elizabeth Henstridge (huge FitzSimmons supporter) and Iain De Caestecker, is more music to my ears, eyes and fandom heart.


This great article was nestled between posts about episode updates, season predictions/speculations and with every fandom, theor posts. Oh the theories. Trying to guess where the writers will go with the characters next hasn't been as predictable as one Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D fan would think. The one tradition that the show did keep up was having FitzSimmons in peril and somehow separated at the end of the season. This of course took a break at the end of season 3 but came back at the fans like a hurricane for the third 'pod' of season 4 with that darn Framework. Although watching the Framework episodes made me want to punch a wall and jump for joy (at how great the episodes were), there was a feeling that the writers didn't quite deliver with Fitz or Simmons. I suppose they were trying to make a point that 'everyone has a dark side' but the bond these two characters have is greater than a virtual world.

Obviously the big news of season 5 is SPOILER ALERT that FitzSimmons are engaged and might possibily be related to one of the new characters, that really annoying Deke guy, they meet in the future. But with joy comes doom, as we, of course they're cursed. Although I think its the writers making the curse 'a thing' and maybe they should just dial it back. The doom of season 5 is that, like all seasons, there is the ever impending feeling that a character will be killed off. Mentions of Jemma's death being described to Fitz is enough to make the fandom start a riot. I believe these characters need a satidfying and happy ending, in the sense, when the show does end, they aren't killed off or separated again and actaully get to settle down, in Perthshire if needs be. The fandom for FitzSimmons doesn't ask for much, just clips and moments that can be made into fantastic tumblr posts. And that their favourite characters are safe.


With the 100th episode aired in a few weeks, tensions and excitment has been rising. Even the cast has been laying it on thick on social media with nostalgic playback photos on set and from the show. This makes me think even more that, going into space and time travel playing a huge part, this will be the last Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D season. Part of me wants that, but part of me wants more, especially with Infinity Wars being released a month after the 100th episode. So much to speculate and not enough time to fangirl about it.

I've got my fingers crossed for the FitzSimmons ending that should happen, that the fans want and deserve and even the cast wants. Here's to the rest of season 5.