Saturday 9 December 2017

Its the Rumour, the Legend, the Mystery...



I'm hoping that everyone is continuing to sing the lyrics after reading the title.

Back in 1996 my Dad worked for a newspaper and used to get tickets to press screenings. This is how my family got to see the era defining Spice World: the Movie and the ever remember able, Home Alone 3 (which neither my Dad or me enjoyed). We also got to see a Don Bluth film called Anastasia.

Anastasia is of course the 1997 hit animated musical film about the youngest daughter of Tsar Nicholas II who escapes from the Bolsheviks during the Revolution in 1917. But during her escape with her Grandmother she is separated and loses her memory. Years later rumours start to circulate that Anastasia is still alive and con artist Dimitri decides to take advantage of the reward The Dowager Empress (Anastasia's grandmother) is offering for the Princess' safe return. He meets Anya (Anastasia) by chance who remembers bits and pieces from her past thinking they are just dreams, and convinces her that she could be the missing Princess. Along with Dimitri's friend and former aristocrat Vlad the three travel to Paris. Along side their journey and really right from the start, Rasputin, a former confidant of the Tsar takes revenge on the royal family and it is hinted that he assisted in the revolution through dark arts. After falling through the ice he enters limbo until years later he is awoken to continue his evil plan, thwarting Anya's journey with nightmares and train issues (down playing it here) along the way. It all ends in Paris BUT if you haven't seen the film yet (if not why not!?!) I'll stop the synopsis there. With a cast including 90s darlings, Meg Ryan as Anya, John Cusack as Dimitri and Kelsey Grammer as Vlad and of course the one and only Christopher Lloyd as Rasputin, the film couldn’t put a foot wrong. But the poster was terrible, they are standing in rom-com stance.


The story is based on real life characters but the story is extremely fictional. Although there was a woman who claimed to be Anastasia until the day she died, there wasn’t much evidence to proof her claims were true. Although Rasputin was not necessarily a soul selling limbo dwelling murderer, he wasn’t a pleasant person. He became the Tsarina’s confidant and had too much power of her; he was cast out and murdered. With a dark story to start with, namely the Red Revolution, it does seem odd that an amazing somewhat happy film follows. 

The music was an important aspect of the film that I didn’t notice when I was younger as I just thought ‘yey music’ but looking it, the songs move the story along and paint a picture for what was happening at the time, ‘Paris Holds the Key’ in particular. All the songs are fabulously catchy and have a beat that you can’t stop listening to. I have the soundtrack (of course) and I used to listen to this on repeat when I first discovered them. Although I love all the songs, my favourite is the ‘Life is a Road’ which just plays in the credits, but its worth sitting through the credits for. Plus later 90s star Aaliyah sings her version of ‘Journey to the Past’ right at the end too, a hidden gem and easily forgotten about now. 

In my household, we all loved Don Bluth as we were fans and owners of the VHS of American Tail and The Secret of NIMH, so this was just another exciting free cinema trip to see an animation with Doc Brown doing one of the voices (my 8 year old self was thinking). I remember absolutely loving the film and becoming a little obsessed. I now wish I had been so obsessed that I had owned the Anastasia dolls/action figures but I wasn't like that. I was more the sticker book and stationary kind of child fan. Unfortunately apart from a couple of random stickers all of the treasure is now lost. What did have and collect were these little plastic hologram locket type things that you got free in cereals (remember those days?). Four to collect but I only had three, now only one in my current possession which I am holding onto for dear life. 

At school quite a few people used to say to that Anastasia was one of their favourite Disney films as this was back when everyone thought all animation was from Disney. I would have to correct and remind them that Anya is no Disney princess, she's her own character and in fact it is based on a story about a women who claimed to be the missing Russian princess, even to her death. But these corrections were met with mild interest or blank stares. It was tough back in primary school.


The film still has fans getting excited about it being on TV one day or in my case over joyed when the film appeared on Netflix for a while. Appreciation posts from Buzzfeed have also popped up reminding us how much we all love Dimitri and well as just saying how great the film was and still is. Dimitri is actually a really popular ‘prince’ role, he was the charming thief with a secret romantic side (remind you of a certain Flynn anyone?). Its amusing to think that the animators wanted to make Dimitri unappealing and unattractive and instead they made the opposite. Even the floppy hair works.
Looking to the legacy of Anastasia, I often used to say the film would make a great musical with just a few more songs and with the announcement last year (can’t remember when exactly, did I write a post?) I was buzzing with excitement. Tracking the progress of the show on Twitter, Instagram and preview show reviews on Youtube I finally got to see my wish come true, sort of. The show has ditched Rasputin (booooo) along with his song (boooooo) and replaced him with a more realistic villain and a billion more new songs. All the originals from the film are there otherwise, slightly altered and extended but alas not my favourite credits song. I’ve heard the music and songs (couldn’t resist on itunes) and I’m sad for the massive changes but I’m still so excited and just waiting for the day it comes to London town. Sooner rather than later please. 



Looking forward to the musical, looking back at when the film was first released, it was and always will be a classic. A great story and even better music, everyone wants to venture into the world of Anya and sing along with her ‘on this journey to the paaaaaast!’.