Wednesday 31 May 2017

I Wonder...

 
With the impending release of DC's Wonder Woman, there has been the usual chatter. People saying its not going to be good. People saying its going to be awesome. The Guardian slagging it off (reviewed by a man by the way) and Empire celebrating it (also reviewed by a man by the way)*. Personally, I'm not a DC fan. I loved the Christopher Nolan Batman movies and I was one of the few people who liked Suicide Squad (I'm aware of the ridiculous-ness of it), but otherwise, never really cared about DC or Justice League. BUT anyone who knows me, I am all for a superhero who is not like the rest. Yes, I mean a female superhero who takes centre stage. How long has it taken for this to happen?? Take note Marvel, hurry the f*** up with your diverse heros.



I haven't read the Wonder Woman comics BUT I know about the character and what she symbolises. She is very much needed. I have started reading DC's Bombshells out of curiosity so I have a little taste of who this woman is. I do want to see the film as I am willing to give a watch for two main reasons, one I've said and the other is Patty Jenkins.

Jenkins is the first woman to direct a superhero film with a female protagonist. She is the first female director who has been allowed to direct a film with a budget over $100 million. That's a thing apparently. I noticed that Patty Jenkins, director of the critically acclaimed film, Monster, hasn't directed a movie since. She's been working in TV but no films. This keeps happening and its really bugging me, but when I say this out loud people switch off. I can't be the only one who is annoyed by this.

Before I get angry, I'll steer this post back to what I was getting at.

women-only 'wonder woman' screening makes american men feel sad

Shocker.

This was the title for the first story I read about this. It was the big story of last week,  a cinema in Texas decided to host a women only screening of Wonder Woman. At first this seemed odd but then again, why not? The novel idea will hopefully encourage more women to see the film and make it clear it isn't just for comic book fans. BUT of course people (mainly men sadly but not surprising) commented in their droves complaining that this was exclusing men. Some even went as far as to say 'why not have a men's only screening of Thor' and 'so when IT comes out, are you only going to have a screening for clowns?'. Ridiculous.

The backlash of this event is insane. People (again its mainly guys and I'm not joking) are making a fuss about this but they can literally go to any other screening. No one is stopping them. Also, there is the glaring matter that maybe women need this sort of event. For instance, there is reason why we have International Women's Day. We don't have a men's day because it frickin men's day everyday! As Don Cheadle said, who supported and defended the screenings, and after men complained saying that the screenings were sexist, "There's no point to men making a point about celebrating themselves. That's called 'the planet.'"

Hosting a women's only screening of Wonder Woman is fine idea and the fact the screenings were sold out has prompted further screening across the US.

You can read about HERE and HERE. Here is also the Don Cheadle new report HERE. What do you think about the event? Is it a good idea?



*Side note, where are all the female critics???