Tuesday 25 April 2017

April Watch List


Apologies for the way this post looks. I spent hours trying to fix this. I wrote it out twice and twice blogger deleted it and froze.


The Legend of Tarzan
So this was 99p to rent on itunes so I thought what the hell. But its rather silly and I think Christoph Waltz knew that too as he doesn't seem to change his half amused expression even when faced with certain death. The story is about John Clayton III, the fifth Earl of Greystoke, now back in England and married to the very annoying American(?) Jane who whines about wanting to go back to Africa, 'her home'. When the opportunity arises, they go with Samuel L Jackson after they are invited by the King of Belgium for some nefarious reason. Tarzan and Jane are welcomed back but trouble soon starts, in the form of guns, solider, rail roads and secret slave trafficking. Margot Robbie is terrible in this and Alexander Skarsgård deserved better. 2/5

Bird on a Wire
This was a pick from for a theme one week for Thursday Movie Picks that I was so excited to see after I looked up the trailer. It was exactly what I hoped for. A typical early 90s action/drama/rom-com with the 90s biggest stars, Mel Gibson (before the crazy) and Goldie Hawn. He's a former lover who went into the witness protection programme and she is a successful business women of some sort. By accident they meet but when some criminal former acquaintances of Gibson shows up, the two have to go on the run and its actually really funny. But silly. 3/5 


I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore

I understand the worry about indie films being buried on Netflix. It means that it might not get the views it deserves. I saw this trailer for this weird little gem about a woman who is burgled and decides to get her belongings back, and thought, 'yes I want to see this'. Then I forgot about it. Luckily it popped up went through my list and I settled in. It was in danger of becoming one of those really sad films I seem to be watching lately but thank gad there was a bit of redemption. Proof you can go on a rollercoaster and still feel the emotions without f***ing everything up. That aside, Melaine Lynskey and Elijah Wood make an epic and odd duo when the former decides to take back her stolen property. This leads on to violent situations. Its much simpler than the title which I sometimes think but its great film if a little thin. 3/5

Heal the Living 


There are two reviews of this from me, one from the BFI London Film Festival and the more recent one for Vulture Hound. 3/5


Spaceship 


Missed this at the festival but got to see it and reviewed it for Vulture Hound. 3/5
 



Their Finest

I can't talk about this right now. It was a brilliant amazing film until 10 minutes before the end when it plummeted into 'What's the actual point'. Still, very good movie. Just fed up of pointless sad films. Also I would have given this 5/5 but seriously annoyed by the ending, just in case this wasn't clear. I was even thinking about what I was going to say during the film and when I could watch again on DVD....but nope. 3/5